Logo

mercury 225 with carbs/no RPM

BUZZY

cant run under load faster than 2k RPM motor dies,but restarts fine.new fuel filters gas lines, fuel pump rebuilt, going crazy

Don't know anything about these motors but as when anything goes wrong with my own motor I start with spark,compression then if if's fuel related from the tank on to the carbs

I started from the tanks,it has two 225s the prob was going from one to the other,i cant find these so called anti syphen fittings,going to run under load with vac gauge;;

Most outboards don't have anti siphon valves.Do as haventaclue said do a compression test.Then a spark test.
Ethanol is messing up a lot of motors.It's delaminating the inside of older hoses causing clogs in the carbs/injectors and fuel filter.Check for soft hoses and junk in the filter on the motor.Check the diaphram. J

I have a 225 opti that has done that same thing before. Definitely a different system with no carbs but changed the plugs and it ran like new.

Good luck

going to try it saturday,when it stalls am going to choke it,see if it picks back up.if it does whats that mean?

if it picks back up you have dirty carbs. they're restricted and running lean when you open them up. hitting the choke restores the air/fuel mix somewhat.

I have read somewhere on this forum about plugs,sometimes the champion plug is not hot enough for some applications and to use NGK's.Just a thought

Back