Logo

83 mercury 70 hp 3 cyl two carb, hot cyl

scortyduck

Contributing Member
well my 70 horse had new rings installed this winter boat works great after new stator install but i know these motors r know for the top cyl burning up and go figure i tested all three cyl top plug is running the hotterst boat doesnt run hot or anything just that top cyl is like 40 degrees warmer than the bottom two i tried richining the top carb a half turn but still hot and i dont wanna burn these rings up this year i mean im still breaking the motor in i only got maybe 2 hours on it if that , my pre mix is 50;1 and im usein ams oil bottom carb is one and a quarter turn out and the top is almost two any ideas how to save this motor thanks:)

Attachments

• fishing myles 005.jpg
    fishing myles 005.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 96
Enrichening the top cylinder requires a larger main jet--the adjustment you messed with only affects low throttle.

You might want to try this: On the lower right side of the block is a water line that sends water through the fuel pump, to temperature control it--a dumb idea Merc obsessed with for a while. That water could and should be going through the power head instead, to keep it cooler, since that motor has too small an impeller to start with! So, plug that line, forcing all of the available water to go through the power head.

Jeff

so block off the water lines too the fuel pump, so if i do this right i would be pluging off four diffrent spots the two on the pump and the two on the plate/block, but that wouldnt solve my problem my motor will be dead cold i do a cold start run for one minute shut down touch all three plugs and the top plug u can barly touch and the bottom two r luke warm and i u seen i put on here it looks like the elctrod on the plug is burning up, what would do something like that

Back