Logo

Power Tune dilemma 1988 90 hp

donaldboyer

Contributing Member
Hello,

I have just got home from buying a can of Power Tune, which I had intended to use on my 1988 90hp Merc 2 Stroke to ready it for the first trip after winter (it has been winterised properly).

However, I am reading the can and it says: Run in gear in water. DO NOT operate on a flushing device

Is that for real? I was wanting to run this through my engine to clean the carbon etc out of it BEFORE I use it in the lake. I really don't want to be doing this with the family on board when we set off camping on the lake....

Can I use it with flushing cups on even though it says not to? What's the story???

Thanks,

Donald

Re: Power Tune dilemma

I use it on a flusher or in a tank all the time, but just don't follow all the instructions.

Do everything except the part where it says to keep spraying it until you kill the motor, then let it sit for (5 minutes or whatever) and then start it up again.

When using Power Tune to clean "storage cooties" I simply run the motor at fast idle and spray each carb in turn until it (almost) gags.

If you do want to perform the entire "decarb" process, start out at home and use about 2/3's of the can. Then use the remainder out on the water where you can run the motor at some higher rpms....

Re: Power Tune dilemma

A flusher just can't supply enough water to let you get the rpms up above about 1000 or so (safely).

If you can fit the lower unit in a garbage can full of water you could do it, but unless you are running about a 25 horse or less, it's tough to find an can big enough to fit the lower unit.

Even running at idle on muffs you still will clean out some carbon and other cooties, but it does work best if you can get the rpms up and really run a continuous spray though it - it will gag out at idle if you try anything more than some "short shots" of PowerTune...

Back