Logo

no fuel to the bulb / bulb is new

i am having the darndest time to create suction from the tank via the "bulb" i have 2 -14 gallon tanks and a tank switch switch, i realize there is a pump located on the block as well and is some times full of junk . but if you can give me ideas as to where to look id be greatly appreciative..patrick

Is the arrow on the new bulb pointing towards the engine?

If your not getting fuel up to the bulb, that doesn't leave anything to check except the tank.

You need to have the hose on the other side of the bulb (engine side) connected without air leaks. I don't fully understand it, but it won't work unless it is connected, apparently. Also you need to make sure that the tank breather is open, otherwise you just create a vacuum which draws the fuel back into the tank. Someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon.

I experienced the same type of problem and discovered the pick up hose in the fuel tank fell off (and apart)

Take it apart and have a look, as it begins to fall apart you pick up a lot of air rather than fuel

possibilties

1. bulb installed backwards

2. tank vents closed

3. plugged fuel line tank to bulb or bulb to carb.

4. stuck floats, closed.

suggestion to trouble shoot.
remove the fuel hose from the tank side of the bulb and blow through it. Do you hear the fuel bubbling?????

No? clear or replace the fuel line.

yes? reinstall the fuel line to the bulb and remove the fuel line from the bulb to the carbs. Pump the bulb, got fuel??? yes? blockage in the fuel line or filter to the carbs, remove fuel line from carbs and pump the bulb. got fuel? you found the problem.
No? again you found problem.
Basically, start at the beggining (tank)and follow the fuel flow all the way to the cabs. When it stops you found it/ GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
You need to have the hose on the other side of the bulb (engine side) connected without air leaks. I don't fully understand it, but it won't work unless it is connected, apparently. Also you need to make sure that the tank breather is open, otherwise you just create a vacuum which draws the fuel back into the tank. Someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon.

the bulb has a check valve preventing the back flow of fuel, the priming fuel system which includes the bulb does nothing more then create a vaccuum to draw fuel from the tank to the engine fuel pump so you dont need to run down your battery trying to get that tiny pump to draw fuel so far.

this is a update and probably the last you will hear from me, i thank all those who gave their advice it helped steer me in the right direction ...thanks..
i checked every single thing on the outboard and i found only a charging relay to be bad. the only other thing i can tell you is is when you have a dual tank system thats getting up their in age you must start at the tank and work your way towards the outboard. i started at the outboard and even though it wasnt for nothing it was a waste of time . i could of been at the issue within a day instead of 3 days. the tanks in my case where solid and so were the inner tubes in which the whole process of fuel delivery begins . in my case the lines from the tank to the diverter and from the diverter to the outboard and most likely the DIVERTER is the issue as they are now all 23 years old. food for thought , if it happens over night the issue is usually one that took 23 years to develope..patrick

i spend 3 DAYS disassembling ,checking and putting back a outboard motor because the outboard wasn't getting fuel , i then spent 24 hours looking at the 2 gas tanks and reassembling them. i go and i spend 2 minutes removing 2 sets a wires off a battery and remove a battery to check the tank switch selector and find a loose hose that was put on by a zip tied to the tank switch... my suggestion to any one is to start at the tanks and work your way towards the motor . if i had done that id already be fishing........patrick

Back