Logo

1972 evinrude 25hp no spark

mikjas2

Hey guys, hope you can help me.
I have a 1972 25 hp evinrude sportster that does not have spark on the top cylinder but does on the lower one.It will start and run but not very good obviously, is this an easy fix ? I am mechanically inclined but have not worked too much on outboards but with a little direction I think I could get r done. Any help would be great.Thanks

I had similar issue with my '75 Johnson 15 hp. It had points and condensors that I replaced and it fixed my issue. Other potential problem could be a coil. I swapped my coils and the problem did not follow, so was able to rule that out. Did a resistance check on all my wires to make sure I did not have a grounding issue. If you have points and condensors, they will be under the flywheel. You can rent a steering wheel puller to get off the fly wheel. I had never done anything like this before and was able to figure it out, so it is not a huge job. I know there are several strings on similar issues on this site. I am almost finished with my rebuild and learned a lot here.

I do not have the external coils like on my 86 40hp evinrude so I am assuming it has points under the fly wheel, which as I am sure you can tell I know nothing about.Is it something that can be adjusted or does it need to be replaced? I am hoping its something I can do instead of having to pay a shop.

hey bud just like dawnfogg said you can do this its relatively easy. you need to go to the auto parts store and rent or borrow a harmonic balancer puller then go to lowes or home depot and get the correct size bolt that fits in your flywheel . i just found a bolt in my junkpile that fit and took it with me. once you get the flywheel off its all downhill from there. if you have spark on one cylinder i would guess points for the dead cylinder but im not an expert when it comes to outboards but i did just have simillar issue a week or two ago. points costed me $28 for both sets . there are two so you just work on one at a time using the other as a reference. you also gonna need a spark tester . theyre cheap..i paid 12 bucks for mine .look at the last two pages of this forum and youll see a couple of threads on this subject it should walk you right through and get you going again. also dont be afriad to ask questions. the guys on this site , other than me , are very knowledgeable and very helpful . otherwise a marine mechanic will run you $90 to$130 an hour. its up to you. good luck and happy boating...dimitri

Put the new points in and has Great looking spark now, still seems to run a little rough but I havent put it in the lake to try it yet.Before I do I need to torque the fly wheel nut but I cant find anywhere that says what foot pounds to torque it to ,Anyone know? Thanks

So we took it out on the lake today and it ran like crap basically:(
It seems to kick or miss at low speed but runs fine at higher speeds But then it jumps out of gear,Why cant things just work? But hey it has spark now in both cylinders I guess thats a start ! Any ideas what it might need fixed now?

A thorough carb cleaning should take care of the low speed problems. The jumping out of gear indicates either a shift linkage adjustment or worn shift dog.

Back