Logo

'1994 Johnson 175hp vacuum switch problem (maybe)

suffysufrin

I have a grady with twin '94 Johnson 175 loopers. When I turn the key to the pre-ignition (accessory) position on my starboard motor, the continuous warning light immediately sounds. It's loud and hurts my ears. I want it to stop. This happens whether the starbd. motor's been run for a while or whether it's been dormant for days. When the motor is running, it continues to sound. The motor seems to run okay, but hiccups intermittently from time to time. Could a bad vacuum switch cause this? THe port motor runs on the same tanks and fuel systems, but runs fine, with no warning horn.

I'd llike to replace the vacuum switch, but I have no idea where it is. Is it within the engine? Is it near the fuel tanks or in the bilge, near the fuel water separators? If I knew where it was, I could probable replace it rather easily. Please help!

Re: '94 Johnson 175 vacuum switch problem (maybe)

sounds like your TEMPERATURE SWITCH, is grounded out, you need to disconnect it while the alarm is sounding, if it's shorted out the alarm will stop when you disconnect it.

Last edited:

Sorry coueytwo...lol you posted while I was typing..

This isn't your model (you didn't list it) but have a look here and/or pick your model and get an idea of what your looking for. Piece 26 is vacuum switch.

You may be having an overheat alarm instead? Look for tan wire on each cyl head. Disconnect wire if you can until you find which one it is.

Last edited:

A bad vacuum switch would not cause the alarm without the engine running. I'd suspect a grounded out temp alarm wire or a bad temp alarm sensor.

Back