Logo

New Evinrude ETEC warranty question

rjrobin2002

I am in the market for a 60 hp ETEC. The dealer I called with the best price says that he has to install it for warranty reasons. He says he has to put it on the boat to run it so he can do some required things for the warranty to be valid. He does not charge for installing it so that is not the problem. My question is if I decide to switch boats and install the motor on a new boat myself, will this be a warranty issue?

I suspect once the initial setup and breakin is done, you're ok to switch boats as long as the motor is propped to the recomended rpm, and the setup is done per factory specs.

He just needs to run it up to power to make sure everything is good. The easiest way to do that is to hook it up to the boat. That gives him the opportunity to make sure the boat's wiring and cables interface properly and the motor performs well. He's willing to throw in the installation to reduce the chance you'll have to bring it back with a concern later.

Switching it yourself won't void the warranty, you just lose the benefits of having the dealer check things out and making sure you're good to go. If you're confident in your abilities there should be no problem. If there's anything your not sure about, ask if you can bring it in to be checked over once you install it. I'd expect to pay a few bucks for this service, but it may be worth it for peace of mind.

A warranty is a legal contract between the buyer and seller. The exact terms of a warranty are spelled out in a warranty. Sometimes sellers will show some flexibility when issues arise. Others won't even honor the exact wording of the contract. If any of your questions are a real concern to you, you should get a copy of the warranty and read it before you buy. Sellers are required to provide it to you prior to making a purchase. I find that each passing day manufacturers keep adding more exclusions and exceptions to their warranty. It makes those of us who buy "used" feel better.

Back