Logo

No ignition on 1979 9.9hp Evinrude

kildir70

My 1979 9.9 Evinrude stop running, there is no ignition anymore on both spark plugs.
There is three easyly removable parts : The coils, the regulator and the power pack. All the other ignition components are under the flywheel.
I dont think that the two coils burn at the same time, so I am expecting other failed component.

Do I need to change the power pack and the regulator and see if it's work or it's an other failed part ?

Thanks for the help !

Re: No ignition on 1979 9.9 Evinrude

I am not one of the experts ,but I would think power pack. You dont need to pull the flywheel for that. But I would check all the ground connections first.

how are you checking for spark? before you go buyng and replacing parts without being sure of the problem may be a waste of time and money . i was told on a thread i posted that you cant check for spark with your spark plugs it will not work. you need a spark tester from auto parts store . they are cheap and reliable. if you post how you came to the conclusion that you have no spark these guys on here can help you through the proper testing procedures to diagnose your ignition system . it could be any number of problems including points ,condensers , plugs fouled or old , coils, bad killswitch , bad plug wires, and so on and so forth. not that i know anything cause i really dont , but id hate to see you spend a pile of money on parts if youre just guessing .

Hi everybody,

I try the CDI troubleshooting guide and found nothing.

Now ... I pull off the sparkplugs and ground it to the crankcase and crank the engine with the electric starter, at the first second I got couples of sparks and it stops, even if I continue to crank I got no spark anymore. If I wait 30 minutes and crank again, I got a couple of sparks and it stops ...

Is this clue sound something for you ?
Maby it's the condenser ?

I will get a puller and pull off the flywheel to see the parts under.

Thanks for the help !

Back