Logo

1976 merc 115 hp dist. pulley removal?

zumdale

Hello I am in the process of replacing distributor trigger. Acording to the manual,after removing the cover off the top of the pulley,the pulley can now be worked from between the flywheel and dist. shaft. I can't make this happen. Not enought clearence best I can tell. It don't seem possible to loosen the three dist. bolts with out removing pulley because the bolts are recessed. Please help and thank you very much!

Re: 76 merc 115hp dist. pulley removal?

It can be done.You need small hands and the strength of the hulk:D.A 1/2" ratchet spanner will help to reach the back nut.Or cut a 1/2" spanner short and try it.Time and gallons of patience.:)
When you took of the pulley cover there should be enough flexibility in the belt to slip of the pulley.

thank you for responding, yes the belt is off and the pulley is loose but it won't come from beneath the fly wheel. I know that if I could find a way to back out the dist mounting bolts that would let the dist. drop down and pulley would come out and I would be on my way. I have to be missing something here.

The belt can be gently pried up and off. The trick is to slowly rotate the flywheel and let the belt climb up as you go. Replacement is the opposite.

Jeff

thanks fastjeff for your reply. I really didn't have much trouble getting the belt and pulley off. What I am trying to finnaly achieve here is to remove the distributor from the engine. again thanks for your help. If you could explain the proceedure and advise of any special wrench or tools that would really help me. Thanks

You need to remove the link arm from the throttle arm.Remove the spark advance/throttle stop plate to.Remove the ground from the dissy to the block and this is where you need the small hands as the nuts are under the mounting bracket and are hard to access.I cut a 1/2" spanner short to get in there as there is limited room to turn it.You might get a 1/4" socket and ratchet in there.

Thanks to all that replied. I got lucky and found a marine shop just 10 miles from me. I walked in and said I think that I bit off more than I can chew. I had bought a new trigger and now could't even figure out how to remove the distributor. I told him I needed help and if you want to throw me out I would leave peacfully. He said quite mater of factly, the flywheel has to come off. This is what looked apparent to me in the first place, but the manual in know way mentioned this. He went into the next room and handed me the tool to remove the flywheel, He didn't even know me! I went today and got the distributor removed and he is going to change the trigger using my new part. I feel that is the wright thing to do sense he was so willing to help me. Seems like boating people are a different breed as far as helping one another. Now I just hope that this is the reason that my motor quit running.

Fastjeff
Thank you for looking back in on me. Yes he was a great guy to loan me a tool and agree to install a part that I had purchaced some place else. He charged me 1 hr (60.00) to replace the trigger. I reinstalled the distributor yeasterday and I am happy to say the motor started right up. It was almost 100 degrees working over the water under my boat dock and I was wondering if the $150 or so that I saved plus the chance that the trigger was not going to be the problem, was the smart thing to do. I lucked out. Next time I might just take it to the man who was so helpfull to me. I learned from this to ask for help. There are people out there that are not always out for the buck. I thank this fourm and people like you who give their time to try to help dummies like me

Back