Logo

35 hp 1993 Johnson - Won't start..

magickjc

It's been running fine all season, then last week after it was running it won't start. Key turns, no click, nothing.

Checked and replaced in-line fuse, checked big red plug connector - clean, checked and charged battery (12.5v), used a multi-meter and narrowed it down to either the ignition (after getting the engine to turnover by jumping via the solenoid) or the solenoid.

Replaced the solenoid, same problem, nothing, no click.

Used another shift/key control box, and just plugged in the big red cable, nothing, same problem, no click (also thought that it might be the neutral safety switch but it appears fine).

Out of obvious things to check/replace, any ideas from anyone?

Yea I had a bad gnd do this to me before.

Also, check power at the wire from your key switch to your solenoid with the key in the start position.
It will be one of the smaller wires connected to the small studs. The second wire is a ground.
If no power there, back track and check power going to your keyswitch...
Should be able to find the place where your power connection is broken.

Thanks for this lead....we had a multi-meter between the small posts on the solenoid, with the key in the on position, not starting position (I think) and it had continuity. Don't know if this relates to your idea.

I've been thinking that it might have something to do with the ignition wire but I used a second a spare shift box and it didn't work either. I will check this again as well as it could be between the harness/red plug and the solenoid (just odd that it wouldn't start shortly after working).

Real simple. Go back to the solenoid. One big terminal goes to battery, other to starter. One little terminal goes to key switch, other goes to black lead and ground. If you have battery voltage at the large battery terminal, jump that to the small key switch terminal. Solenoid should click, motor should turn over. If it does, you either have a bad key switch, neutral safety switch in control box, or wire in between.

Back