Logo

Newbie has big problem 2003 225hp

dbenham

Have twin evinrude 225's 2003 model. They start & run fine for about 20 minutes. Then one will shut down. Then the other will shut down. Cannot restart for 20 minutes or so. Motors will not crank. No lights or alarm. Just quit and are completely dead. After the "waiting period" they will start right up and run for a while longer. It seems the slower you go the longer they wii run until shutting down. Mechanic hooked up the diagnostic computer to both motors and found no problems. Please advise. Thanks

Re: Newbie has big problem

Wow! That is a puzzle. Are both engines running from the same gas tank? No overheat alarms?

Yep, have two tanks both feeding both motors and no alarms or lights. The last mechanic I had cannot determine the problem. I just can't afford to have them start replacing motor parts until they find the problem.

really dont know anything about the new motors but do yours both run off of a electronic box at the same time, since both motors are doing this i would look for something that both motors share at same time fuel,electric sencers wireing ,just a thought check main electrical plugs

Both motors are independent. I agree there must be something bad common to both motors. Batteries, fuel, ignition kill switch. Can't figure this out Surely both emm's couldn"t go at the same time. ( I used to live in Florissant, Mo.)

wow its a small world thing are changeing here and not for the good, did you check your throttle box, maybe fuse box for anything blown as far electric is concerned

What does "won't crank, and are completely dead" mean? Are you saying you turn the key and they don't turn over, or they turn over but won't start? Huge difference.

What does "won't crank, and are completely dead" mean? Are you saying you turn the key and they don't turn over, or they turn over but won't start? Huge difference.

When you turn the keys they will not turn over. after a while they both turn over and start right up.

on your starer sylnoid gour going to see 2 small post 1 will be ignition labeled I the second will be starter labeled S run a test light from the S side have someone turn key switch to start see if light lites up then do the same for other motor if both lites up 3 or 4 times then check from there to starter, grounds, plugs wireing even sylinoid try pecking on it gently then retry the start

I don't mean to beat this to death. But I haven't been fishing since November. Sunday I checked the oil flow. There is a small oill filter on the motor.(looks like a 35 mm film container).I disconnected the hose from the filter and with the motor idling there was no oil coming thru the filter towards the motor. Could this be the problem? How do you purge the oil system?

If I understand correctly, you are saying that after 20 minutes you lose your 12v supply to the engines. This can only be caused by bad cable connections, bad battery switch, bad cables, or bad batteries. The first one is most likely, the last two are unlikely. How are you rigged? Are they using a buss-bar to supply the 12v to the engines? I would check the connections there first.

Another thought, do you have volt meters for each engine? What are they showing when the problem arises?

Are these 2-stroke engines? Are you sure they are getting oil? They could be siezing up and after cooling will allow it to crank and start but will sieze again. Will cause major damage.

That's a thought. But I can't imagine that even an OMC would let you run it until it seizes more than a few times.

Back