Logo

Trim Problem - Mariner 1997 150 HP

hightide185

I have a 1997 Mariner 150 and the trim is stuck in the up position. When I press the trim button I get nothing, no noise what so ever. I do have power, to the lights and the motor will start.
Any help is appreciated.

Re: Trim Problem - Mariner 150HP

Look on the engine for a blue and green wire connected each to a seperate solenoid, and they also run to the pump.
Green wire = down
Blue wire = up
Check power to blue wire going to solenoid when trimming up. If no power, make sure the grounds are good. If u have power to up solenoid, try switching solenoids..easy way to check for bad one.
If you have TT switch on side of cowling, try it. if it works the solenoids are OK. Probably bad gnd, bad switch on controls, or bad motor.

TT switch on side of cowling also does nothing, no noise or anything. I will check power, is there a fuse in the line at all?
How can I lower the unit manually.

There is a manual release valve on the side of the bracket. Release the valve with a screwdriver slowly and carefully, as system would be under pressure.

emac is right on track.
What your looking for is a plastic flat head screw about the size of a nickel, on the bottom of where the pump mounts.Don't turn it more than 2 - 3 turns..Shouldn't even need that. When you get it lowered make sure to shut that screw again or you will have no hydraulic lock to prevent the motor from kicking up!

Sounds like maybe you lost the ground connection on the TT wiring. There may be a fuse but without the engine model/ser# we cannot look it up.

If possible (depending on how the blue/green wires are connected), you can disconnect the blue n green wire from the solenoids and connect directly to the battery to check the TT motor itself.
Just put blue on batt. positive and green wire on negative to go up, reverse wires to go down.

Can I lower the motore while it is in the water?

Thanks for the guidance, I will try to get the motor lowered.

you can drop it in the water, but there's a good chance it will come down fast, so if you can rope it or something, not sure how deep of water your are in, but you'll probably be in the water to turn the screw anyway, just be slow and carefull

Questions: Is it possible that the fluid in the lower unit gear lube is low? Can a safety shut down your trims if the lubricant is low?

Questions: Is it possible that the fluid in the lower unit gear lube is low? Can a safety shut down your trims if the lubricant is low?

I'm not sure if you are trying to answer his question or have a diff. question?

There are no safety shutdowns on TT pumps or gearcases..

Back