Logo

Baffled with 6-71

cracker

Hope someone can help.
I found engine oil in my header tank. Had the oil cooler taken off and tested. No leaks found.
There is no sign of water in the engine sump.
Does anyone have any ideas where the oil is leaking from.
I'm told it could be the head gasket. Compression test needed or not?
Engines are 6-71TA's, 485 HP and done 800 hours.
Thanks for and suggestions,
Cracker

Hi Marv,

Thanks for the suggestion. It is still in the shop and I have asked them to check the core one more time.
Will let you know tomorrow how it went.

Well the news from the shop is good, no leaks found on the cooler plates.
Back to square one.
Does anyone have another suggestion how this oil is getting into the header tank?
Thanks for any ideas.

Hi Marv.

It is quite a heavy film of oil. Engine runs great, but starts to overheat if you go above 1800 RPM.
I ran her from Hong Kong to Singapore non stop for 7 days and she never missed a beat, only lost some oil daily. Check the header tank on arrival in Singapore and that's when I found the oil in the header tank.

Is the oil clean or normal crankcase oil?
Clean someone goofed up. Dirty,? head gasket. Or crack or porosity in a casting oil gallery leading to water jacket.

Hi diceromc,
The oil is normal cranckcase oil. Usual blackish colour.
Am getting the head pulled as we speak to check head gasket.
I am in a small town in Northern Malaysia and a local mechanic is doing the job. I am hoping he knows how to set everything once reassembled. (fuel racks, etc.)
He tells me no problem but I know it can be a problem if not done correctly.
Thanks for the advise and will post the results of any find once known.

Well the head is off at last. The head seal on #1 piston was leaking as was a couple of the oil port seals. Basically all the seals were in a condition that they needed to be replaced.
Thanks guys for your suggestions.
Got the head gasket kit thru Diesel Pro. US$38.00 and delivered from the States to Malaysia in 5 days. Great service if anyone needs spares quickly.

Back