Logo

Johnson 2001 90hp dropping out and in gear

H20 TO GO

Can some one tell me if replacing the "shift dog" is possible if you only remove the prop? 2001 johnson 90
It feels like it is dropping out of gear then back in when crusing I was told this is mostlikly the problem. Nick

Re: Johnson 90 dropping out and in gear

Thank you ! I know there are books on this but they dont show the short cuts that are possible so I will go page by page . again thanks.:)

If you mean the engine revs up, then goes back to normal, a slipping prop is probably the most likely cause. That you can swap without a major dissasembly.

No it just feels like it is dropping out of gear, no reving just a quick bang like a miss under load only. I was told the dog mostlikly is the problem. It is not all the time so I think it is not a engine miss This dog thing makes sense if it is a common problem. Just dont know if I should do it or bring it to the shop. I have done the waterpump but that is as far as I have gone in a outboard. I may just break out the books this weekend. we will see. I was looking to see if there are any short cuts to the replacement of the shift dog. I am in the auto industry and know we beat the boks with shortcuts so was hoping to find one for this repair. Thanks for any infoanyone can provide for this repair. Nick

Back