Logo

2004 Evin 250HP Fitch - Trouble starting

littledutch

Just had my powerhead rebuilt with all the fixings, rings, seals, gaskets etc. Took her to the lake and she started up fine, was a little rough idle but strechted her legs and she did well. Took her out on the water again a few days later. She had a little trouble starting but after a few times she started up and ran fine the rest of the day. Yesterday took her out for the 3rd time but before going I ran her with the hose at the house. All is fine. Get to the ramp and she starts up but goes dead. Tried many mroe times and finally got her cranked and throttled up. Few minutes later went to throttle her up to make a short run. She felt like she was choking down and went dead. Have not been able to crank her after that. No alarms of any kind.

Note: I did not replace the sparks plugs during the rebuild. They are two years old and a couple look like they could be fouled.

Any suggestions?

Its really not your problem, who ever the rebuild should fix it. What you are describing sounds like the engine seized up, someone may not have done the job properly. Let us know what happens.

Pulled the original plugs and turned the motor several rotations with the fly wheel. She is not froze up, nothing obstructing the rotation. The plugs though looked in very bad shape with carbon deposits. Lots of oil in the motor after a rebuild, I was told that plugs can sometime foul out at this time. Went ahead and replaced them with all new plugs. Went to crank her and the starter is humming pretty loud and not turning enough RPM's to start engine. The starter did this several times in the past once before the rebuild about six months ago and then once after the rebuild while at the shop. Starter is getting replaced this afternoon. Will keep you posted.

Attachments

• DSCN2196.JPG
    DSCN2196.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN2197.JPG
    DSCN2197.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 80
Be sure the plugs are properly gapped...should be at .030...they look a little wide to me.
Is your battery fully charged when you're trying to start? Just wondering why the starter isn't turning fast enough to start the engine. But if you're sure it's the starter then replace/rebuild it.
Keep us posted on what happens.

The bearing bushing that holds the coil or armature was pretty wore down. Replacing the entire motor assembly and all.

Will keep you posted.

As my old mentor told me many yrs ago when I showed him a set of plugs, "it looks like you could drive a freight train through the gap" Those plugs are bad. Ficht mtrs need the correct plugs for the yr and are usually gapped at .028". They also have to be "indexed" when installed.

Thanks Boobie. I put new plugs in and they are gapped right at about .029

I also indexed them so they open face the injectors.

Just waiting on the starter to get back. Have the Batts on the charger, both are showing good. Will keep everyone posted.

Ok, got my starter back today and attched it. Checked the plugs to make sure they were just right in alignment with the injectors, put the ear muffs on her and turned the key. Turned over just fine and tried to start. Before trying a second time I checked the fuel hand prime pump and it was not primed. Now this is a direct injection so correct me if I am wrong, but when you turn the key the fuel system automaically primes it self. I primed it till the primer was hard and then she cranked right up and hummed like a champ. Now that I know she is internally ok I need to focus on the prime.

I did take the top off and turn the key once again. I heard a sucking sound only once. I've had this happen before and had to replace the primer hand pump and a fuel hose just before the fuel water separator.

Any suggestions?

Just recently i had the honour of experiencing a "Homer Simpson"moment.I spent weeks trouble-shooting my outboard.During which time i changed the fuel pump,the plugs,and all the fuel lines.Still my motor didnt want to run right.So i changed the battery to a more powerful one,nothing.I spent 4 days on the water with it cleaning the carb over and over,till, one day,an old timer walked up to the dock and said"You know,i used to have the same motor,and i cant help noticing you have some trouble.Have you checked your grounds,especially those on the coils?""DOH!!"All is well now.Good luck.:D

You may be right.All i know is that i had many of the same problems.A weak starter,fouled spark plugs,And a rough ignition.Good luck.

It can't hurt to check the grounds... I mean heck, I've just rebuilt the power head with all the fixings, got a new starter on it, new plugs, new oil system as of last year, new solenoid and newly rewired switch battery cables, not to mention the batts are less than a year old.

Thanks.

This site saved me alot of grief and money.Just trying to throw some back!!Looks like you are on the home stretch.Good luck.

Got her on the water yesterday. Started up fine, idled as good as you could ask for and ran fine all day. She did a few times run a little rough in reverse, just a little chug chug but when throttled up was fine. Two questions...

1. Any ideas on the chug chug while in reverse?
2. On a direct injection fuel system, even though I have the primer buld, when you turn the key the fuel system starts to pump fuel into the fuel system. Is this an auto prime function?

'Chug' in reverse might be due to wrongly adjusted or sticking shift cable. This may affect the shift interrupt switch.
The fuel system is not quite what you describe.
The fuel pump you hear starting when ign is put on, builds pressure in the fuel rails.
However ONLY if it is enough fuel in the vapor tank to build pressure!
Engine (fuel) must be primed prior to turning the key on.

Haffiman is correct in all of the above said. Even tho' it's fuel injected it still has to be primed before starting
the first time after sitting.

netialnitieal

Last edited:
Back