Logo

Shift rod measurement wrong 1976 135hp

Removed the LU to measure the shift rod height and replaced waterpump while there(glad I did). 1976 Johnson 135hp spec is 21 13/32". Adjusted length and reinstalled LU. When going up(reverse) the rod hits the block and cant go any further which in turn does not allow reverse to happen. I would guess the room needed would be around a 1/2". I dont believe the LU is the original, so how do I find out the year so I can adjust this once and for all????? By the way, the only # stamped on LU I could find was 716M.

Re: Shift rod measurement wrong

why can't you adjust it back to where it was, as long as it goes into F-N-R and stays in gear there is no problem.

On later model engines, you measure from the top surface of the LU to the center of the hole in the shift rod, with the LU in neutral. Don't know how yours is supposed to be measured, but wondering if that might be your issue.

On later model engines, you measure from the top surface of the LU to the center of the hole in the shift rod, with the LU in neutral. Don't know how yours is supposed to be measured, but wondering if that might be your issue.
And that is exactly how I measured it, from the mounting surface to the center of hole.

The 1976 135hp Evinrude/Johnson incorporates a shift rod that does not screw into the lower unit assembly. It has a flange like hook on the bottom that locks into the shift assist plunger assembly. The top portion of the shift rod is threaded and has an offset barrel type shift connector that contains a nylon bushing. This barrel connector simply screws all the way down, then backs up to its proper position.

Bottom line.... you have the wrong lower unit installed (if indeed a 1976 135hp) which is not functional with that engine. I suspect that someone has changed the intake manifold (shift linkages) and attempted to convert over to the later model lower unit setup. The 1976 135 shift setup follows.

What is the model number of that engine?

77_140hpLOWERUNIT-4.jpg

Last edited:

and the model number is????
135etl76. Sorry about the wait. The lower is exactly like your diagram. Is does have the lip flange that hooks to the pump assist. The barrel shift connector was threaded all the way down, i made the adjustment by the correct measurement and this is where i am now. Previously, i could get either forward and not reverse or vice-versa. It may be the cables after all. I have new ones to install, but that wont fix the rod hitting the block. Should i just lower the connector until i get both gears firm which of course means lowering the unit a few couple times (yay)???

Last edited:

1 - If the small nylon bushing (Part #318590) is missing from that top barrel shift connection, there is no way possible to have the shift adjusted properly. I know it's a small item BUT it is a critical item. It's not listed on the lower unit diagram but rather listed on the powerhead diagram..... stupid way to list it in my opinion.

2 -
(Centering Shift Cable)
(J. Reeves)

When all is as it should be, the proper method to adjust the shift cable is to disconnect the cable from the engine. Move the shift linkage on the engine to find the center of the play in neutral, and when found, leave it centered.

Now, grab the end of the shift cable sleeve, push and pull it to find the center of the play there, and center that play.

Adjust the trunion on the threaded portion of the shift cable so that the centered play of the cable lines up with the centered play of the engine's shift linkage. Install and lock the shift cable with the retaining clamp in that position. That's it.

Last edited:

Joe -

Where does the bushing go bcuz you are correct, it aint on mine. I see it listed in the diagram, guess I'll just order it and see what it looks like.

thanks for the info - Jody

The bushing goes into the hole in the barrel connector. Then the long front shifting lever..... the one that has a small prong...... that prong is inserted into and thru that bushing with the end of that prong being locked into the hole in the long rear shifting lever.

the bushing goes into the hole in the barrel connector. Then the long front shifting lever..... The one that has a small prong...... That prong is inserted into and thru that bushing with the end of that prong being locked into the hole in the long rear shifting lever.
as i suspected. I located one at the marina, will try to adjust height again 2morrow and will let you know.

Thanks again joe.

1 - if the small nylon bushing (part #318590) is missing from that top barrel shift connection, there is no way possible to have the shift adjusted properly.
i am just wondering how that insert could possibly make the measurement that far off?? I say that meaning it appears as though it would literally need as much as 1/2" more upward movement to engage and still clear the block. The barrel was adjusted to the bottom of the threads before i pulled the lu but could still get gears to engage either direction if i manually moved the lever.

That barrel..... just screw it all the way down, then simply back it up only far enough so that it faces forward properly...... a half turn, something like that. Do not attempt to obtain some sort of measurement!

A missing bushing make a huge difference. The centering of the shift cable as explained above is also important.

Back