Logo

I know this is repetitive

paczowski123

i had originally posted something about my lower unit leaking from a weep hole just behind the water inlet on the front of the motor. Well i loosened the lower unit drain plug and nothing but translucent white water came out for many seconds i did not even see anything as thinck as oil flow out :( What should i look into replacing in this motor? i inherited this boat with no knowledge of what service has been done the motor is a 90 hp evinrude spl. what seals should i start with first i.e. water pump, shift shaft, or any others?

Last edited:
What you're saying here sounds like the nature of the beast. If it was mine I would check the g/c oil for not being milky or having any water in it and if that was okay I would just take and run it. What you have is unburned oil from the exhaust leaking down which is normal on these mtrs. Disreguard my post, I read yours wrong.

Last edited:
well i changed my post..and the new one is here..i checked the drain bolt and nothing but translucent water came out for many seconds..i didnt even see anything resembling oil come out. as i said i inherited the boat and dont know what kind of service has been done, and was looking to see if there were a few main places to start looking?

You dont say what year your engine is or give the model number but if it has a manual gear shift then you need a high viscosity outboard engine gear oil ( around SAE 80w/90)

If it is an electric shift you need a special oil for electric shifts. Type C, but now called Premium Blend by OMC/BRP.

But first you need to get the gearcase resealed. Either as suggested get it pressure & vacuum tested to identify the bad seals or replace them all, not fogetting the seals on the drain and level screws.

If that gear case was filled with salt water you may well have some expensive repairs ahead. If it was only fresh water then with luck you'll get away with it but inspect all the bearings while replacing the seals.

As you know nothing of the history of this engine read THIS

Back