Logo

1982 115 hp Evinrude RPM problems:

blueblurr094

I have a 1982 115hp Evinrude that no one can seem to find the solution to a problem I have. The first problem was that the primer bulb was going flat,solved that problem by changing all the fuel lines and primer bulb,turns out pickup tube was clogged in fuel tank.cleaned out all the dirt out of fuel lines and cleaned out carburetors.Put boat back in water and it runs fine and planes out and runs for a few minutes and then the RPM's drops back to 2500 and won't go any higher.It's if it goes into some kind of limp or safety mode and won't go any higher.Checked the temperature sensors and they are fine,no overheating. Are there any other sensors that could be causing this problem? The boat was stored for about 4 years. Thanks for your help

Re: 115 hp Evinrude RPM problems:

When you cleaned the carbs did you remove the high speed jets and clean them with a piece of wire to make sure they were clean?

Re: 115 hp Evinrude RPM problems:

Find out if your year engine has the SLOW system built into the powerpak. (I don't recall when they started doing that, or if it is included in replacement packs) If so, sounds like the engine believes it is overheating, and is trying to protect itself.

Back