Logo

1973 9.5hp johnson motor cover question

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
hey guys, the foam underneath my motor cover is very old and brittle. like yesterday i went to put it on and it was like snowing little dry foam crumbs . i didnt put it on because i dont want that crap getting in my carb. what to do?

Re: 73 9.5 johnson motor cover question

Strip it out and replace it with some new foam. You can run it without the foam, but it might be a little noisey.

will do thanx . hey i was tinkerin with it a few miutes ago let it run at idle then gave it some gas for a few. after i shut her down the head felt really hot to the touch. you can see water coming out of the exhaust i felt the water and it was hot too. is this normal or problem with impeller? thanx in advance

Is there water coming out the exhaust port when running? You should be able to hold your hand on the head for 2 or 3 seconds when the engine is running.

yes there is water comin out the exhaust but it feels pretty hot ( the water) ill see if can hold 2 -3 seconds tommorrow ...thanx bud ...dimitri ...ps how much water should i see coming out at idle ?

ok i guess i didnt have my engine quite deep enough in the test barrel because i put more water in this morning and had quite a bit more water coming out of the exhaust port and it was much cooler than before. surprisingly the motor is running quite well at idle and at high rpm. question .... should there be a screen or filter at the water pickup or not? mine currently doesnt have one and i still havent got a manual for this one . also since the impeller apears to be functioning quite well should i put in a new one or run it the way it is?. thanx in advance....dimitri

I don't know about the screen, but I think You can find a parts breakdown
on this site.
If You don't know the history of the impeller it's a good idea to replace it.
The insulation under the hood, Could You use that foil backed stuff that is used in cars for insulation on the inside of the fire wall.
I've got a 1980 Chrysler 7.5 hp. that I'm going to try some on.
Good Luck
Steve A W

Back