Logo

TAMD41-PA smells hot when turbocharger kicks on

johnsct

When I initally raise the rpm to where the turbocharger comes on I initially will get a very hot smell in the cabin. It then goes away. I also notice that I lose a small amount of coolant. If I run below the rpm requiring the turbocharger I do not lose any coolant or get any smell. The engine oil quantity stays constant with no evidence of any water etc getting into it. I believe the turbocharger must have a bad seal somewhere. Anyone got any good clues.

John Scott

I haven't had any replies to this as yet, but did do some more looking at the issue. It appears to be quite rusty around the seal where the turbo is bolted to the exhaust pipe. This rust also runs down to the coolant drain area of the turbo. My feeling is, and I will run the engine and turbo sometime in the next few days, that when I bring the rpm up to where the turbo kicks in, the coolant leaks out some and is quickly evaporated off. I don't normally run the engine much above 1800 rpm due to fuel efficiency reasons. But do periodically bring it up to 3000 or so to keep things cleaned out etc. I will get this smell in the salon area of the boat and it usually occurs when I first bring the rpm up then quickly goes away. I will try to run it up more often to see if this will make any difference to how often it occurs. Also will plan on replacing that seal etc after labor day weekend when the summer slows down a bit.

Let me know if anyone else has any comments etc.

John

Look into exhaust elbow where it attaches to the turbo with t-bolt clamp. Usually there is rust and carbon buildup that creates perfect seal after a while, but it clamp is loose or its not sealed properly, you will get heat and smoke coming out of it when turbo is spooled. The gasket between turbo and exhaust manifold can sometimes seep coolant, you can replace it. Its easy to see coolant "tracer" rust-colored runs over the engine paint.

Back