Logo

671 Won't start

seasicksid

Hi
I.m new to this forum and very new to Detroit Diesel ownership.

Just bought a 30 year old Bertram 42 with twin Detroit 671 two stroke turbo engines. First trip was getting it home, 13 hours at sea without a problem. Got into harbour and starboard engine petered out and died. Still showing a quarter tank of fuel. Filled up with more fuel in case gauge was wrong. fitted new filters,Re filled filters, it fired up for a short time then died again. Checked fuel line and found it blocked, cleared fuel line, re filled filters and it did the same, ran a short while and died, checked flow o.k. filled filters again and getting nothing, engine spinning over but no firing. Is there something I'm missing? Does something else need bleeding ? I'm told these are self bleeding.

Sid

Well if the engine starts missing and stops then its getting air. if it slows down without missing then the fuel is restricted to the injectors. My guess is you now have a combination of both.

Yes they are self bleeding. They do need lots of flow.There are other things that can cause problems, but i think your problems are still fuel flow and sucking air.

If the fuel is run out of injector, then you will have to prime fuel system. Hook up pump to secondary and pump fuel tru system intill you here fuel coming back in to tank.

"checked fuel line and found it blocked"...with what?

How long did this boat set with old fuel in the tanks before you bought it?

If you have algae in the tanks and in the lines, you can expect the other engine to shut down soon as well. If there are bugs in the fuel, it can plug up a primary filter big time quick. Pounding while at sea could have shaken up and knocked off deposits in the tanks.

If it were me and I found a fuel line blocked, my next step would be to make damn sure it doesn't happen again. My experience with old diesel boats is to drain and open the tanks and scrub them as clean as you can get them. Good luck.

Last edited:
Each injector has 2 lead screen pellets in them. If youu get a fuel algae problem they will clog, clean filters or not. You can get kits that have 2 pellets, new copper washers for the line connections. I see a lot of this on older gen sets and work boats on the river.

HELP i have a set of 1980 Detroit Diesel 6-71 and have primed them both they started fine ran for about 10 min.. or so the next day will not start back yup please help
what i think? is a restriction of fuel maybe

To start a new thread:
Look at the top of this page and locate the line that has a little blue "house" at the margin and next to that, in blue letters on the white background it says "FORUM HOME" to the right of that it says "DIESEL INBOARD ENGINES FORUM" and to the right of that, click on "DETROIT DIESEL".

The page that comes up will have a START A NEW THREAD button very near the same portion of the page that the above line is located on this one.

Please include more info in your new thread about why you were priming them in the first place as well as any other findings that you may have since this started. Were you servicing the filters? Were they sitting for a long time? How old the fuel is...that sort of thing. The more thorough your explanation of what is occurring with the engines, the better quality help you will receive.

Looking forward to reading your post.

To start a new thread:
Look at the top of this page and locate the line that has a little blue "house" at the margin and next to that, in blue letters on the white background it says "FORUM HOME" to the right of that it says "DIESEL INBOARD ENGINES FORUM" and to the right of that, click on "DETROIT DIESEL".

The page that comes up will have a + POST A NEW THREAD button very near the same portion of the page that the above line is located on this one.

Please include more info in your new thread about why you were priming them in the first place as well as any other findings that you may have since this started. Were you servicing the filters? Were they sitting for a long time? How old the fuel is...that sort of thing. The more thorough your explanation of what is occurring with the engines, the better quality help you will receive.

To start a new thread:

The page that comes up will have a + POST NEW THREAD button very near the same portion of the page that the above line is located on this one.

Back