Logo

Need Help Motor Dieing 1992 175hp

LCole

Ok I have a 1992 175 Johnson faststike and I have been having problems with it dieing on me. It will start and idle fine but the last several times that I have been fishing it just dies on me when I'm running at half to full speed. Then it takes a while to start. I don't think its a fuel pump problem because the fuel bulb has been full of fuel when it dies. I first thought it might be a bad fuel line and sucking air. I replaced all my lines going to the fuel tank and its still doing the same thing. Some guy mentioned the power pack going out? Was wondering if there could be something else and how hard it is to replace a power pack. It looks like just plugging in wires and connecting it back up.

Re: Need Help Motor Dieing

Power packs aren't hard to replace if you're careful about keeping the wires on the right connections. You need to check the spark when it's dead to see if the ignition system is the trouble first. If no spark, then you know where to focus your testing. If it has a good strong spark it's probably something in the fuel system.

There is no spark. I checked the stator and it looks good. So I don't know where to go from there now.

Under the cowl you will see a large connector plug going to the powerhead harness. Unplug that. Turn the engine over using jumper cables directly to the starter. If you now have spark, you have a bad ignition switch, kill switch, or shorted "kill" wire to the powerpack. My port engine is doing exactly the same thing & I will begin the same procedure this weekend. My little boat had crazy switch & ignition issues. I removed the switch & noticed it was full of water. I tapped all of the water out of it and now it seems fine. I am wondering if I have similar issues with my port engine.

Be careful using jumper cables to turn that motor over. There's more than enough power available to draw quite an arc, and if you happen to short B+ to ground, you can expect bad things to happen to your battery fast.

I would check to see if the kill wire has continuity to ground both with the big red plug connected and disconnected, key in the ignition switched to 'on'. If your ohmmeter reads infinity with it connected, you should be good, and you can move on to the next step.

You SHOULD get a service manual for your outboard if your diagnosis gets any more involved from here. I've recently had the opportunity to compare the SELOC, CLYMERS and factory service books side by side. SELOC stinks. CLYMERS is pretty good, as is the factory book.

Before you replace too many items,check your ground connections.A weak ground connection could cause these problems,especially at full throttle.

Back