Logo

Volvo D6 310 hp starting problem

Hawk-28CC

Hi I’m new to this site. I have a boat with a pair of 2006 D6- 310 Volvo engines. They run great but once one of my motors gets hot and I shut it off it will not start unless I pump the primer on the top of the fuel filter housing. If I let the engine sit over night and cool off it will start right up with no problems. Once in a while when it’s hot it will start up but abruptly stall after 10 seconds. I have had three different mechanics look at the problem over the last 2 years it has been happening and have not been able to get to the bottom of it. It seems to me to be some sort of electrical problem being caused by the heat but I am not a professional mechanic. I thank you in advance for any help.
Dennis

As you can see below, I have a different Volvo engine, but a similar problem. I know that you have a computerized engine, but yours sounds much more like a fuel problem than an electrical problem. Specifically, it sounds like air getting into the system which can be difficult to diagnose as your previous three mechanics can attest. Others more knowledgeable and experienced than us may be able to suggest ways to track down the specific problem.

I would think if it was a fuel problem and or air getting into the line it would not clear its self up overnight while cooling down? Because the problem has occurred over a two year period and more than 4 filter changes and only happens on one of the motors I have ruled out filter problems and fuel tank problems.

Are both engines pulling from the same tank? What's the path of the fuel look like. We run several parasail boats with the d6. All single engine with hp drives. Haven't had any problems of this natural. Thinking maybe you could swap fuel lines to see if other engine now acts up. Maybe the primer top is faulty or ohm value is off at the bottom of spin on. Fuel pressure problem? The fact that it is running well makes me also think that it is fuel related and not electrical. Electrical problems on these engines almost always seem to result with some kind of code. What's the shut off sequence? Maybe try the reverse shut down the good engine first and then the second one. Start the sluggish one first and then the good one. At least you know how to get her going and thank goodness for 2 engines. Chances of you getting stranded are slim to none. ;-) Keep us posted.

Back