Logo

motor wont turn over

dawgs

Regular Contributor
motor bogged down and stalled friday..started right back up. sat it did the same but alarmed 3 beeps before stalling... started right back up...2 hours later it bogged stalled and has not started up since. now it wont start. i changed all the fuel lines the plugs. i get nothing it cranks great but wont turn over

From your previous post on this subject we determined that you aren't getting fuel out of the pump when cranking the engine. Since you aren't getting any fuel from your fuel pump you need to find the reason for that. The pump is vacuum driven so start with the line from the crankcase to the fuel pump and check to see it's clear & connected properly. If the vacuum line is OK and you're getting fuel to the pump but not through the pump...replace the pump.

i understand that but shouldnt the fuel manually pumped in start the motor? starter fluid in the carbs wont even work

If you have spark, then fuel sprayed into the carbs should at least make the engine sputter. Let's back up a bit...a 2 cycle engine needs three things (basically) to run: compression, fuel in the cylinders, and spark to ignite the fuel. Your compression is on the low side but still should be good enough to run. You've stated that the fuel pump is not pumping fuel to the carbs and that's an obvious problem. I don't know if you have spark. Check the spark. If you have a good strong spark, it goes right back to a fuel problem.

i do have spark. the pump is not pumping fuel while cranking. im not sure if cranking is fast enough to activate the pump.

if motor is not cranking fast enough, charge the battery and try again. if you are asking will pumping the fuel bulb bypass the fuel pump and fill the carbs, the answer is yes. if you hand pump the bulb, fill the carbs, the motor should run until you stop pumping the bulb.

did you motor backfire right before, it stop running? pull the flywheel and see if the key is still good. you can have spark, comp and fuel and it won't run if the flywheel has moved.

Original post, "i have an 87 johnson 150 VRO. had it out the last couple days any it ran flawlessly until saturday.. 3 times it bogged down and stalled. twice on take off and once at WOT after about 20 mins running good. all three times it started right back up with no problem.

ok well the s*&t hit the fan yesterday. while driving at WOT the motor alarmed. i thought i counted 4 beeps then it stopped. 3 minutes later the motor bogged and stalled out. (fealt like it ran out of fuel) the only way to start it is if i depressed the throttle release and start it at full throttle. it ran good until i put it in gear. then it stalls out. long story short. it runs good until it goes in gear. then im lucky if it idles but if i give it gas it will stall. i removed both fuel filters and bypassed them to see if that was the problem. it wasnt. the primer ball kept getting soft but not collapsing. i think i tried everything but no luck."

Back