Logo

evinrude e300pxcur serial#g1451568

stingray71

hello can anyone tell me if this motor by model andserial is a standard rotation model for single motor use thanks what was the idea behind evinrude johnson producing a v8 outboard besides hp were these motor prone to any other issues besides the standard problems like a v6 motor thanks for any info

Yes, they are very prone to problems, you should sell it to me very cheaply ASAP!
Being seriously now, If you take a look at the past threads on this site, that should tell you about the quality and longevity of this motor.
Does this motor have a prop on it? You should be able to tell the rotation by looking at the prop. When you are looking at the prop, if the left side of the blade is closer to you (right side closer to the boat) it is a standard rotation.

Yes beware of these motors especially if it is the counter rotating model. What year is yours. I owned twin 87 300xp one counter rotating. These were some of the first models. These also had second effort lower units. Amazing power and when they ran nothing could touch them. OMC replaced 10 powerheads in the course of 6 years under warrently. The last one that went was not under warrently.

The counter rotation engine ran backwards and had a life of 50 hours and no more. These engines would blow a hole the size of a ******** through the block at mid range RPM. OMC could not identify the problem they just kept replacing them until they finally offered me a set of 235's. I also had to keep at least two power packs on board and was a master at changing them a few times during the season. These were also very thirsty motors.

This boat was the prototype 31 Fountain that was seen in all the magazines and fished in tournaments.

That being said I have known people that have owned later models 4L that have been running for a long time.

If you find them they are usually fairly cheap. I just recently saw twin 250hp V8's for 2K a piece locally 89's (Johnson's)....one is counter rotating.

The only explanation was on the counter rotating engine. At the time they did not reverse the transmission so they just ran the engine backwards. This engine always had more vibration and more problems. As I said before 50 hours running aournd 4400 rpm they would just let go. These sucked a ton of gas but also a lot of oil as well. The smoke at idle would be a cloud behind the boat. OMC sent many people out to investigate and they could not find any issues. They did many sea trials but when they ran they just pured like kittens. 5800 RPM (75mph) Sounded like a jet fighter from behind.

There were some concerns with the second effort lower units. These were custom short shafts with low water pickups but now concrete answers. They just kept replacing them at 10k a piece.

When the boat was purchased there was a three week delay on delivery. I later found out that they had blown both motors and had been replaced. I was also told by OMC that these 3.6L blocks were rated at 325hp. The later 4.0L models did not have the same problems especially the 250hp.

The V8 is basically just two v4's put together. It was not a high tech motor.

Thanks for good info would you say these motor are worth putting the money in like a standard rotation v8 pistons machine work etc or are the two stroke v6 superior in longevity and performance thanks

I would honestly not put any money into these unless you really wanted one. The V6 is much more reliable.

What kind of boat are you going to put this on?

wow lot of weight have a 107549s 175hp 1977 on there now was having issues with motor hard starting found charge coil putting out 90v ac port 110v starboard side one open coil port side pulled flywheel found melted charge coil was concerned on wether to use original omc that lasted 30 years on this motor or cdi brand iwanted to change all coils see that omc changed part number from 0581764 to 0502888 should i be concerned of change in part number or is new number a coil kit do you think even though trigger check ok low ohm 19 and not shorted it should be changed because of age thanks

Back