Logo

'1998 25 hp J25RMECA

Nickcwc

Hi Everyone!
This is my first post. Great site!!

I have a 1998 Johnson 25 HP 3 cyl. My problem is when after 15 min. of running fine it will all of a sudden bog down at full throttle or at idle. If I shut down the engine and restart it a few times it will most of the time run great again. It will always start first pull every time. I changed the spark plugs put on new spark plug wires. new full line, with new ball and fuel filter. My oil injection is still hooked up and seems to be working fine. If at full speed and it starts to bog, I hold the throttle wide open while it spits and sputters and it will work its self out of the bogged down condition and eventually speed up and run great again.
Any ideas?

Also should I disconnect my oil injection to be safe??
Thanks
Nick.

Re: '98 25 hp J25RMECA

Nick,
you can run 50:1 fuel/oil in your tank if you are not sure your oiler is working, but your motor would have already have locked up if it was not working. sounds like you need to clean your carbs, if the motor will crank back up right after it boggs down, with no cool off time it makes me think it 's not an ign problem. you can try running seaform in the gas and see if that helps. but I would check the carbs.

Re: '98 25 hp J25RMECA

Thanks!
What is the best way to clean the carbs?
Could I just remove them from the engine, soak them in Carb cleaner and then clean/blow with compressed air?

Back