Logo

correct prop size for early 80's 80 HP

novice_marine

got the engine running great, but when i had it on the water last night, it seemed like it was reved out at 30 mph. and 3/4 to full throtle did not make a differance. i have it on a 16ft "V" haul open bow boat and there was only one other person in the boat with me. i figured with a full 80hp it would be closer to 45-50. it has a 12 in prop on it now with room for at least 15 under the hydrafoil. do i have the wrong prop? does anyone know what "rated" rpms should be at full throttle with prop in the water? i would like to take it out again with a digital tach to see if it is over-reving. or maybe that is all the faster the engine will push that boat. just would like some opinions. thanks.

With the correct prop you should be running between 5200 and 5500 rpms at WOT. 50 mph is a bit optimistic with an 80 horse unless your boat is very light.

this is a good article about boat props
Choosing the Right Propeller
To some, choosing the right boat propeller can seem like a job for a marine service center. Anything that has to do with the backend of the boat can be a scary thing. Despite popular belief, choosing the correct propeller for a particular boat and motor is actually a fairly simple thing to do, once you understand what a propeller really is.​
First think of propeller as a gear, whether it be on a car or even a bicycle. The lower the gear, faster hole shot, more power, but revolutions are much faster so at a point you can only turn that gear so fast until you over rev the engine (or you legs). Now think of your car stuck in only 5th or 6th gear, very slow out of the hole, little torque, but eventually it will catch up with itself so you can cruise to a good speed.​
The same basic concept applies to propellers, except with a prop you are committed to only one gear". So what to do now? Find the prop size that will give the best overall performance. Sound difficult? It's really not.​
Your engine has a recommended wide open throttle rpm range. Let take an example of an18' boat with a 125 hp engine with a rpm range of 4500-5500. In most cases you purchase a boat with some sort of propeller on it. Let's say this motor has a 21 pitch prop on it and at wide open throttle under a normal boat load, the engine turns 4900 rpms. Well it's in the range so it's the correct prop, right? Well yes and no. For the health and longevity of the engine it's okay, but for overall performance, you want to run a propeller near the top of the range. Well how do you change the size to get that?​
Remember this rule of thumb: For every 2" of propeller pitch, rpm's will change approximately 400 rpm's. As you drop in pitch, rpm's increase, and as you go up in pitch, rpm's decrease. So if we want to raise our rpm's we should choose a lower pitch prop. Following the rule, going down to a 19 pitch should raise our rpm's to about 5300. That would help the hole shot and also gain us some more speed.​
As you follow the rule of thumb, remember that sometimes rules are meant to be broken. This is not an iron clad rule, sometimes varying 2" of pitch will only change rpm's by 200. Switching prop brands or manufacturer, it can sometimes throw off the rule too.​
At this point the most important thing to understand is that less pitch means more rpm's, more pitch means less rpms. For your boat to perform at its peak, you need to run at the upper end of your engine's recommended rpm range. That's it. Once you're there and still want more speed, handling, lift, etc, that's when choosing the right propeller brand comes into play.​
Here's a simple adjustment you can make to improvement performance under varying boatloads: If you normally run with one other person on board, use that boatload as your measurement when determining your wide open throttle rpm's. But if you sometimes load the boat with 2-5 more people or try pulling a water skier or tube, get another prop 2" of pitch lower than your normal prop. It will compensate for added weight and drag and make a huge improvement on performance in these circumstances. But remember to keep an eye on you rpm's when running a lower pitch for these circumstances.​
Most props have the size marked somewhere on the prop, either on the barrel, on the blades, or in the front or back of the propeller. Use that pitch that you're currently running as your starting point. If it's already running correctly then that pitch is your pitch.​

Good article - and I agree, you will never see 50 mph on that rig.

At 16 feet, a normal production boat is limited to about 40 mph before it's handling becomes dangerously unstable.

So even if you could hang 200 horses off the back the boat would cartwheel across the water after you hit a minor "ripple" while trying to hold 50 mph.

(I have pages of math equasions that can be used to figure max speed capabilities of various hulls - so I'm just giving you an average here).

And yes, "Bob's" Ranger bass boat will do 55, but that hull was designed to do that. And that's why Bob needs 225 horses on a 17 foot hull when most fish/ski's in that length run with a 115 or 125 and "only" get to the 40 mile per hour mark.

To make 50, if the hull can take it, you need almost double the horses and burn twice as much gas - something that the "average" production boat just wasn't designed for...

To increase your top speed by 15% you have to increase your horsepower by 50% - so with your current rig lets assume you might make 35 mph with a superbly tuned motor and a matched prop - swapping out for a 125 horse would let you make 40 mph - unstrap that and put a 200 on the back and she would make 46 mph - so if you want 50 mph on your rig it looks like you would need somewhere around 275 horses (which the transom wouldn't hold and the hull couldn't handle the speed anyhow).

Mid-30's would be "all you can expect" from the average 16 footer...

Last edited:
I went thru the same questions concerning props.So here is what I came up with on my setup.I use a 4 bladed alu.13 1/4 x 13 prop top RPM 5000 on a 1200 pound 15 foot tri hull. Average speed 32 MPH max on a good day 35 MPH.I also have a 13 1/4 x 17 stainless steel prop (Turning point) prop max RPM 4300 37MPH not good for the motor.Good advise from the folks here and I spoke also with a Rep. at Solas and got me pointed in the right direction.I was also disapointed I wasnt going to get 45 to 50 MPH on the water.But considering safety and riding around in a Tin Can to try to get 50 MPH I'll stick with 35 MPH.Better on gas anyway.

Back