Logo

5hp 4 Stroke Stalling at Idle

capecoop

Contributing Member
I have 08 5hp Tohatsue 4 Stroke, with very little use. I have developed a issue where the engine will stall after about 10 seconds on idle. I'm also experience difficulties staring once the engine is hot. As soon as the choke is in it wants to stall unless you keep the RPM's up. I'll be honest nothing has been done to this motor since it came out of the box. Where should I start? Thanks

Since your engine is within the three year warranty period you should take it into an authorized dealer for a warranty evaluation...And they will charge you to clean the carburetor because you haven't been running the gas out of the engine after every use:)

They don't...They prefer people to use fuel stabilizer. Unfortunately the problem is two fold and the while the stabilizer does help with stale fuel, it does not have any effect on evaporation. Running it out solves or at minimizes both.

Thank you for the input..trying to wait untill the end of the season to bring it to a dealer. Ran better yesterday after adding Stabil last week. Still doesn't want to idle for a long period of time.

Back