Logo

1989 6HP prop seal removal?

jim18611865

Regular Contributor
I have my gearcase completely apart. I am waiting for the drive balls to come in on Tue. I bought all the seals. All are changed except the prop seals. The old ones won't come out. Manual says to use OMC small puller assembly part # 432131. Where do I get such a tool, or should I ask my dealer to remove them for me?

Seriously I have been hammering for hours. They won't budge. They are now toast so changing them is mandatory.
I haven't damaged anything yet.

Will heat help or will I damage the bushing in there?

OK ,I got it. I guess driving out from behind is not good. I bought some type of automotive seal and o-ring puller and adjuster. Mounted the housing in a 2X8 clamped it to a bench and it came out rather easily.
Live and learn.
It appears the outer seal was in backwards, although I cannot see how this could be a problem in any way, unless it was right and I put the new one in backwards.

Ok thanks I just did install the way it was, and tank tested. Unfortunately the original problem is still there.
A little better, but not perfect. It now is only difficult to get out of fwd, but it goes in gear when the lever goes fwd. Just very difficult to push the lever back. I may tear it down this fall and replace the shifter and spring. I would have this time, but the mechanic (35 years exp. on only OMC's) suggested only the drive ball this time.

Now that I can tear it down, and no 13 years olds rev it before it goes into gear, I think I can make it for a while.

Back