Logo

hello

boatfromhell

hello my names Greg and im new to site... we have a 1990 rinker 206 captiva with a 305 chev with a stern drive yamaha...yes i know nightmare and everyone wants to stay away from them and hard to get parts. we got our steering fixed recently as it had a whole wake of play in the rack and pinion now since then we have this clunk in our stern drive. my dad chnaged the gear oil and filled it from top and apparently you are suppose to fill from bottom up?, the guy that fixed our steering says it probabaly is some kind of bearing inside we took out?..we also used synthetic gear oil plus lucas additive..we noticed when we took off the cover to check the fluid today it was like foamy sort of..clean oil and everything just foamy and its not suppose to be like that possible synthetic lubricants and lucas dont go together...?

the clunk u can really hear it when its idling at about 800 1000 rpms clearly and when you rev the boat up and put it in gear u dont hear it as bad obviuosly higher rpms.. but when we first bought this boat this year we never heard anything coming out of it..its a good strong running motor and that just me and dad didn't know much about the stern drives and if we woulda known all the stuff we know now we wouldnt have bought it lol.

so the boat had a misfire...guy who worked on it to fix our steering the stern drive had play in it before he told dad he didn't touch anything..and he had to have..spark plug wires were in wrong place cylinder 7 and another one.. but never thought the banging in stern would be that..dad took it to another guy put it in water and said thats a misfire right away he knew..but its fixed now:) boat runs great.

Back