Logo

2000 Johnson 200hp Oceanpro problem

ryork1844

this motor is intermittenly cutting out for just a second. it feels like a hard miss whenidling or in a no wake zone. When coming up on plane under power it is so hard you think the transom will come off. Thinking it was a loose or corroded connection all the connections have been cleaned and tightened on the motor and batteries. I have replaced the ignition module, the regulator, and the stator. Any ideas on what to try next? sorry for the repost but I could not edit the title of the old post to change the seapro to oceanpro.

Re: 2000 Johnson 200 Oceanpro problem

Any reason you didn't change out the sensor (trigger) when you were swapping parts?

In an intermittent ("phantom") loss of spark situation it is more likely a bad trigger than any other ignition component.

It's the one part that always tends to test "good" despite a problem.

Were the other components tested before they were replaced or are you just kinda trying everything? If they weren't, hang onto them if you haven't disposed of them - you probably have a good set of "spares"....

the parts were tested with an ohmmeter only. The regulator was changed because of irratic tach and an overcharging condition. the ignition module because of input from a friend. The stator was changed because of loose coils and discoloration and friends advice. The sensor tested good with the ohmmeter test.
This only fails under load and in gear,never misses a beat in neutral at any RPM. I have chased this as an electrical problem, could it be a mechanical problem?

I tried a different approach, I ran this in reverse tied to the dock and it ran for 15 minutes without a miss or cutout. When I put it in forward it would cutout about every minute or so. every time this failed I could see the shift linkage jump a little. Since this never burps when in neutral, it will run all day without a failure, and only fails when in forward I am thinking mechanical. When coming up on plane or under power the failure causes a violent bang and slam on the transom of the boat. I am thinking that the motor is slipping out of gear momentarily or possibly jumping teeth in the drive. Anybody have ideas agreeing or disagreeing with my thoughts?:confused:

Yes, your clutch or forward gear might have an issue or you linkage may simply be off a bit.

I would unhook your shift cable at the motor end of things and manually put the motor in forward gear (keep it on the trailer so it isn't dangerous).

Then if it stops slipping/banging you know it's an adjustment issue, if it doesn't, maybe it's time to have a look in the gearcase.

And since this only happens in forward gear that really does tend to let the ignition system "off the hook"...

The problem is in the gear case. broken tooth on the forward gear and the clutch dog is rounded off on the edges. This should be the fix for the problems I have been having. Thanks for the help. Will update when the gears are replaced and hopefully the problem is corrected.

Replacing the forward gear and the clutch dog has taken care of the problem. The motor is running fine right now. Thanks for the help.

Back