Logo

help 1970 60hp

I have a 1970 60hp johnson that I just purchased, it starts up fine but has an erratic idle and when I put it into gear it stalls unless I turn the idle way up, other than that everything else seems fine. Oh yeah, I messed with the throttle cable adjustment while I was installing it on my boat, I just dont know how far off it is. Thanks very much for looking!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Re: help - 1970 60hp Johnson

I have a 1970 60hp johnson that I just purchased, it starts up fine but has an erratic idle and when I put it into gear it stalls unless I turn the idle way up, other than that everything else seems fine. Oh yeah, I messed with the throttle cable adjustment while I was installing it on my boat, I just dont know how far off it is. Thanks very much for looking!!! :cool:

Re: help

To adjust the cable, make sure the throttle arm is against the idle stop screw and adjust the cable to slip on the pin.
Have you checked compression and spark, if so it might be time to overhaul the carbs to correct your idle problems.
What RPM is your engine idleing at, should be about 650-700 in GEAR in the WATER.

Back