Logo

58' Evinrude Big Twin Fuel tank issues?

thx997303

When I got this motor, it ran well on the tank it came with. The tank is one of the Cruise-a-day pressure tanks.

I took the motor home and wanted to put it on my cuffs (which I'm glad to say, do work on this motor, unlike my other outboard) and make sure I was good to go for a fishing trip (which is in the near future)

Well, I can't get it started. I put the tank on the ground, hooked it up to the motor, pressed the primer button until I had pressure, then tried to start the motor.

It wouldn't start, and there was fuel coming out of the primer button on the tank.

I also noticed air bubbles coming up from around one of the bolts that holds the assembly to the tank.

I pulled the line, pumped the button until it leaked gas, then plugged it into the motor and tried to start it.

The motor fired a time or two and died.

I pulled the tank apart and the diaphragm is fine, the cork gasket is compressed but no obvious tears, and the little washers underneath the screws that hold the assembly to the tank are quite obviously shot.

Does this sound like the tank is just not sealing right? (IE, the tank is leaking sufficiently to not let the motor run. The tank is obviously leaking, but seems to hold some pressure)

u need to reseal that top portion,of the tank......then,u need to strt at the basics,.....if u just obtained ,this eng.....here is what it needs,.....tune-up,carb job,wtr pump,lower unit oil.....and go fr there.........ck the compression,..before doing anything else.....no comp--no eng..

I did a compression check when I looked at the outboard before buying it.

I re-gapped the points.

I changed the plugs.

I have proof of a new water pump one month ago. (Receipts from a reputable shop with description of work performed.) It works.

I changed the foot oil out of habit. Was no water in the foot.

I removed and cleaned the carb.

Anywho, I made a new gasket out of cork and installed that, and replaced all the little washer seals with properly sized o-rings and now it runs perfectly.

Back