Logo

No Lights or Horn1977 140hp

H-Town Cobra

This is not a engine question although my baby has a 140 Evinrude. My problem is electrical with my boat...I rescued this 1977 Silverline 16ft runaboat from a seven yr sentence in a garage..After a good cleanup,maintence,tuneup,and all fired up this baby in the driveway and ready to hit the water...one problem No lights or horn..Please advise....thanks..

Re: No Lights or Horn

Fit horn or carry an aerosol cannister operated one. ?? or one you blow !

Fit navigation lights which comply with the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (IRPCS) or local regulations if applicable
Port and starboard lights ( combined), stern light and a masthead light at least 1metre above the P&S lights ( Mast head and stern light can be combined into one light visible through 360 degrees

Additional lights as applicable if you are fishing. Other than for trawling, two lights in line vertically and visible though 360 degrees. The upper one being red, the lower white.

A white light visible all round for use at anchor ... it can be the combined masthead and stern light

Drawn for a sailing vessel but equally applicable to power boats.

Visible ranges P & S lights 1 nautical mile. Masthed and stern light 2 nautical miles

At least i suppose the IRPCS will apply to you

Last edited:

u need to trblshoot those switches and wires,and repair the problem......fuses?..wires?..switches?

I have a horn and lights just they don't work ...
Sorry misunderstood. You said, "no lights or horn". Assumed you meant you had no lights or horn.

If you have them all but not one of them works then you will be looking for a fault in the supply to the switch panel from the battery. Bad connection or a fuse perhaps . Dont forget to check the negative connection as well as the positive

check power to switches first. if no power there, trace back to source. check the battery area. often there is a separate cable for the accessories and it might not have gotten connected.

I'm not a mechanic, I'm not an electrician and I certainly am no expert but I would go a slightly different route than what most have suggested. Actually it is part of what others have suggested but just a different aproach.

In the past and I have been boating for 50 years, every time I had issues with multiple electrical accessarys fixing one at a time was like pissing into the wind. I'd fix one item and something else would quit working. I found that more times than not the problem was due to a bad ground and if one is corroded there is a good chance they all are.

Here is my solution and like I said I am no expert. Go to your local marine store and spend $10 to $20 on a new bus bar to match the one under your dash. Now disconect every single ground from the old one, clean them up, put new connectors on the ends and connect them to the new bus. If that doesn't do it then proceed with the rest of the wiring. Once again I am not an expert, just relaying what has worked for me.

It won't cost you more than about $25, shouldn't take much more than an hour of your time and even if it isn't your problem it probably needs to be done anyway. In my opinion 50% of all electrical problems are due to a bad ground and this way you are assuring all of your grounds are good at one time.

Last edited:

Thanks Big Mike..I'm no mechanic either but any advice is appreciated...I will try your solution and keep you posted again thanks H-town:cool:

Back