Logo

johnson 1989 88hp spits and sputters at idle possible leaf valve problem?

cbstevenson

hi i have a 1989 johnson 88 that spits and sputters at idle loads up and sometimes fowles a plug when you try to pull away with a load on it. i keep extra plugs on the boat but this just isnt the fix can any one help thanks curtis o sorry i replaced 2 of the ignition coils wires and checked the primer soldnoid to make sure it was not leaking through also it spits gas out of just one side of the carb against the cover

Last edited:
Re: johnson 88 spits and sputters at idle possible leaf valve problem?

altho actually rare,...leaf valve problems do occur,...if u have a lot of fuel spray coming back,ck it out,...u WILL get a slight mist,just fr norml operation,and ur prob would lie elsewhere...float level ,sticking needle,..etc,etc...

altho actually rare,...leaf valve problems do occur,...if u have a lot of fuel spray coming back,ck it out,...u WILL get a slight mist,just fr norml operation,and ur prob would lie elsewhere...float level ,sticking needle,..etc,etc...
thanks for the help i will do some more tests

With the engine off, look down the throat & pump the primer bulb. See if you can see the carb overflowing in the bore. (Float/seat/needle issue)

Back