Logo

Exhaust cover gasket

BigMike51

Is it possible to replace the inner exhaust cover gasket on a 115 Johnson without removing the powerhead? It seems to me like it would be possible as long as you could get to the lower bolts?

Thanks for any input.

yes,..as long as u can get to them,..why not?....but,..by the time u break 4 off,...u r gonna have to pull it anyway......to do the job.....properly,...which is a disappearing term,nowadays..

yes,..as long as u can get to them,..why not?....but,..by the time u break 4 off,...u r gonna have to pull it anyway......to do the job.....properly,...which is a disappearing term,nowadays..

Oh I doubt I will break any bolts assuming I decide to do it and assuming I can get to those bottom bolts. I just rebuilt the powerhead a month ago and the bolts haven't had time to corrode. The reason for my rebuild in the first place was water getting in the crankcase. I suspected the exhaust cover but did not replace it, I simply patched the pitted area. I have noticed touches of rust on one of the spark plugs and suspect there may still be traces of water getting in. I plan on keeping a close eye on the situation and if my fears are correct I will try to pick up a used exhaust cover and switch it out.

I know I sound cheap but that inner exhaust cover is about a $400 part which is why I didn't swap it out when I had the chance and why I will be looking for a used one.

Back