Logo

I will never buy another Volvo!

captain joe

I have a 2004 KAD300 and have been out of service for 5 weeks.

I need a new ECU module. It is a $3,000.00 part so in this economy no dealers in this country want to stock it.

Worst of all Volvo doesn't stock it either and apparently are in no hurry to make it.
When my authorized dealer placed the order on Monday, 6/14/2010 he was told that the part required a component from Belgium that was scheduled either Friday or Monday following the order.

A week ago he was told by Volvo's USA rep that she "thought it was going to Programming".

The feedback I get from my mechanic about his dealings with Volvo, leads me to believe that Volvo really doesn't give a damn about the individual consumer.
I am missing the best part of the summer and have lost over $5,000 in charters.

I will NEVER buy another Volvo product!

BUY AMERICAN!!

Has anyone else had problems dealing with Volvo?

I have been trying to keep my friends kad 43pa running in his guide boat, it is the most backwards engineered thing I have witnessed since my days as a foreign car diesel mechanic, I fail to see why volvo marine engines are run right at the limit and if one little thing is sub par the whole thing comes to a stop, the cooling system with oil cooler and heat exchanger continues to be a trial keeping in order, last straw was oil cooler had 4 particles from raw water pump impeller in it causing building pressure in system, had to make a rig to test pressure before and after oil cooler and at the after cooler to find this, went from 15+lb at 3400 rpm down to 7.5 lb after taking it apart and cleaning out bits, Volvo wanted 20.00 a piece for the four cap o-rings, told them to G T Hell and reassembled it with a little more sealant, 80.00 for four 3.5" o-rings are you kidding me, when it comes time I will be refitting it with a cummings heat exchanger and after market oil cooler remote mounted, every time I can screw volvo out of a sale I devote my life to it..switch on the dash instead of a 350.00 supercharger brain, delco alternator, chinese starter for 1/4 the cost, napa air filter for 1/3 the cost, 1/2 inch pek tubing bent into U to direct crankcase fumes away from the air filter and slow down the velocity, now he does not have oil soaked air filter every 50 hours and can't blow oil out the dipstick tube anymore, am seriously debating a ss screen before the turbo inlet, he ate the first turbo when airbox seal went through it, why does volvo continue at this???

the real scare is now Volvo builds a four cyl 230 horse with this supercharger turbo combination, and all new diesels that use this common fuel rail peizo injector system will have this 3000.00 electronics module, what a windfall when these start failing, why not mount the engine computer off the friggin motor where it will be away from the heat and vibration, you can seal a computer from moisture relatively easy but heat cycles will kill it and small vibrations of short frequency will tear it apart, thats why the military does not bolt them on the jet engines but a few feet away. come on volvo stop trying to get rich of your crappy designs by sticking it to the working man, build it like your going to own it and make parts for it priced like you do own it. 20.00 for a four inch o ring of which four are needed for the oil cooler end plate and cap, 80.00 for o-rings are you kidding me, they are at best 2.50 buna or nitrile rubber rings......

I agree. A friend had to employ a lawyer, threaten to sue them to obtain what was promised in their warranty. His boat was out of service for months. The most effective way to show Volvo how you feel is to avoid their products. Some of their dealers-distributors should avoid Volvo as well.

Buy GM. Cat, or Cummins. Buy American! You save in the long term.

pv

Back