Logo

what year

ktmjunkie

Contributing Member
Hi guys

Just purchassed a Mariner 40M ser no 6E9 S 018819 made in japan.
can anyone tell me the year please and is this a yamaha built outboard. and does anyone know of any problems with this model. someone has blanked off the oil pump so i have to use pre mix. is this a good idea.

Thanks in anticipation
Regards Gordon

That is a 1992 Yamaha built "C" model that originally had pump driven oil injection.

The oil pump on this model was kinda the prototype for all modern Merc and Yami oil pumps - it was a great system.

Is the pump still there or has it been completely removed? If it's gone you can not restore it now unless you could find a used pump - they are long discontinued.

It is NEVER a good idea to remove an automatic oiling system. Mixing 50:1 is only "good" for the motor if you constantly run at full throttle.

Auto-oilers vary the mix rate of the oil to meet the demands of the motor - so for example if you do three hours of trolling, when the motor only really needs between 100:1 and 150:1 and you are feeding it 50:1 you end up with oil fouling, excess carbon etc that can (in time) cause detonation and pre-ignition, both of which (unchecked) can send the motor to an early grave.

And despite what some "dockside expert" says, less than 1% of motors ever die due to a problem with the oiler.

Anyhow, enough of my preaching - the C model 40 were an outstanding motor (whether painted as a Mariner or a Yamaha). They were very popular and most parts are still generally available....

Back