Logo

8.2 l detroit diesel will not come up to speed

ptrck

i have a 33 ft fishing boat, that has 2 8.2 l detroits, when i full throttle the port engine it will come up to 2200 rpm and the turbos are spinning, the engine will bogg down and go to 1000 rpm and below. changed out the raycoors 30m and checked all fuel lines.i am not sure if it is a fuel or airside problem. air intakes are clear and pulling, fuel seems to be there,but i do not know if the lift pump is making good pressure to the fuel rail.i really do not know what to look at next, any feed back would be greatly appreciated--thaks patrick:)

More questions than answers. Do you have boost gauges? Are you running any type of air charge or inter or after cooler? Do you run paper air filters?

Would you be confident hooking up a mechanical fuel gauge to test your pressure? You may have good pressure but still have a volume delivery issue.

The governor is controlled by springs acting against weights. If you have a weak spring, it will not hold the rpm up against the rotating weight.

How did the problem present itself? Gradual, instant? Does it "bog down" in gear, out of gear or both? Any smoke? Does the engine "hunt" or rapidly change rpm on it's own?

First thing that comes to mind is some sort of air inlet restriction such as a clogged or collapsing air filter or piece of flex duct sucking in but you say that you checked that.

The good news is that you have a good running engine right next to it that you can compare some test results with and there's still a decent supply of old Detroit DrippA mechanics in and around LA.

Last edited:
hi jgmo, i do not have boost gauges,i am running a intercooler, the air intakes to engine are srceen mesh. the problem just came on suddenly and only happens so far when the engine is engaged.when you advance the throttle the rpm will drop and engine will hunt alittle and it will not go above 800-1000 on rpm.now as for installing a gauge to check fuel pressure, i am pretty sure i could do it if needed.i will be going down there today to investigate the airside and exhaust. i wii get more information today:)

hi jgmo, as usual i did not make it down to my detroits today. i am going first thing in the morning7/13. i am going to check filters before raycoors. i think it is get fuel starved.i remember when i pulled the raycoor that the canister was half full with the filter in the housing.boy that would to easy huh.well i will get back to you tommorow.--thanks for your input--pat

Half full filter housing usually means you are getting air from someplace. Checking the primary is a good idea. Good luck.

Back