Logo

Yamaha 2002 225hp Four Stroke cut at 4300 rpm

static1012k

I have a 2002 Pursuit 2270cc with a 2001 Yamaha 225 Four Stroke. The issue that I am experiencing is intermittent. At times the motor will not go past 4300 rpm, it is as if the computer was keeping the motor from going any higher. The way that I have found to get the motor working as it should is to turn it off then lift the motor out of the water with the trim and bring it back down and turn it back on. It works the first time or sometimes I even have to go through the procedure a couple of times and it will finally go back to normal operation. We have taken it to the Yamaha dealer and spent a lot of cash trying to resolve this issue and no one can figure it out since it cannot be replicated.

Re: Yamaha 225 Four Stroke cut at 4300 rpm

check for loose connections on the motor. only thing I can think of. What made you think to tilt the motor all the way up, the first time?

The reason that I tilted the motor up the first time was to check the prop and lower unit were ok. I think that it must be some sensor. I will double check all of the connections.

Check your wiring harness where it meets the motor cowling -it moves when you tilt up the motor.

How many sensors does this motor have that are related to oil? I check the oil before taking it out.

I'm from italy,
I have a Robalo 235 with 225 4 strore 2004 ed I have the same problem and I find on may self the same solution.... I turn it of the motor one, two or more time and after go ok.
Yamaha mechanic said that it is in my case a water problem in petrol which has caused problems of rust fuel pump that caused a blockage of the injectors accordingly ... we are replacing the pump. We inform you about please tell me whether you have found the cause of the problem.
Thanks

I have had the same issue and motors. It's some work but this resolved my issue. Inside the high pressure tank build up even a small amount of particles and this will inhibit the flow. The debris in mine came for a small screw inside the tank which was rusting due to the manufacture using dissimilar metals in production. Saving the .04 per engine. Clean the HP tank and replace the screw with stainless.

I cleaned out the high pressure tank. I think that it is called the "VST" int he parts list for the motor. We went down to the keys for Lobster mini season and spent weekend there. The boat ran great until Saturday. The issue occurred twice on Saturday and once on Sunday. I have run this issue by many people and have now been pointed in the direction of the trim sender. Apparently if the computer senses the the trim is to high it will put the motor into slow mode which will not let you pass 4300 rpm. I am going to test this theory this weekend.

Trim sender was replaced and still the same issue is occuring. This is an intermitent issue so trouble shooting is very hard. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have been also looking reading around and see that some people have had issues with the fuel lines comming from the tank and low pressure fuel pump. How long on average should you go without replacing all of the fuel lines. We have had this boat since 2005 and have never replaced the fuel lines. Should this be something that should be looked into relating to this issue?

Get a fuel pressure gauge that attaches to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. I've got 2 F115s and one F150 and with all the ethanol related VST filter plugging I think everyone should have one. With the pressure gauge hooked up you'll be able to see if it's a fuel pressure drop that is causing the problem at higher rpms. If pressure is fine (about 40psi) you could have an injector plugging up and they are fairly easy to remove and have cleaned. If the motor is running fine up to the higher rpms it usually is a fuel restriction somewhere.

In talking to a number of Yamaha mechanics they all say there are many more fuel related problems than electrical problems on the Yamaha 4 strokes.

I replaced both thermostats. One was completely open and the other just a bit. We ran with a fuel pressure guage unitl the issue occurred. The pressure was normal 45 PSI even when the motor was cutting out.

As your fuel pressure is good I'd pull the injectors and have them cleaned..........if the problem persists then you know it isn't a fuel restriction problem. You can have the injectors cleaned for about 20 bucks apiece. The mechanics I've talked to always say that 99% of problems now a days are fuel related............but you may have an electrical gremlin which I unfortunately can't help with.

Good luck

One other thing you could do yourself is check the resistance on all your injectors to make sure they are all good. If you pull the injector harnesses off and use an ohm meter on the two injector blades you should get a reading in the 12-16 range.........but it's important that they are all the same (plus minus a few tenths). I have two f115s and a f150 and the injectors would all read in the 15ish range. It's possible that you have a bad injector that is heating up and shorting out. Nice thing about this is it's pretty simple to do yourself.

Good Luck

I have been able to remidy the issue by turning off the motor followed by turning off the batteries for 1 minute. Then I am able to resume normal operation without any issue. This issue occurs after the running the batteries with the motor shut off for an exteneded period of time..... i.e. anchored for a couple of hours and starting back up to come home, this is when I run into the issue. Can it be a computer related?

I have a 2002 Yamaha 225hp and it just started cutting out at 4300 rpm. My mechanic has already replaced the removed, cleaned, and replaced the injectors with no success. Has the problem returned to your engine since you replaced the ECU?

I got the same problem too. I can’t figure it out. The motor purrs like a kitten when it’s running, then all of a sudden it’s like it’s misfiring Motor won’t go past 4300 RPMs or 3800 RPMs it cut off the same way like it wasn’t getting fuel. I swapped the computers I change the coil pack. I change the spark plug. I still have the same problem. next is I am have the injectors cleaned, if anybody has any other info more than happy to look into that too so far, this season has been miserable

2002 225 Yamaha four stroke
Having the same problem. It won’t go past 4300 RPMs, its like it goes into a safe mode. I shut the boat off turn it back on and the problem goes away changed all gas filters senses coil, pack, spark plug can’t figure it out. Otherwise, the motor purrs like a kitten just doesn’t make any sense if anybody has a solution, please share. My mechanic gets no codes. We’re both pulling her hair out.

Back