Logo

Searching for Carbs for 1984 85hp

madmatt62

I purchased a 1984 Bayliner with an 85hp Force out of the U.S. 2 years ago and it's been excellent until this year.

I took it out this spring and found that although everything seemed fine at idle and slow speeds I lost power at higher RPM's.

My boat tech changed out the head gasket (very slight leakage), checked compression (all 3 cylinders in good shape), checked the coils and everything electrical related, changed all fuel lines and installed a fuel pump kit. Nothing resolved the problem.

My tech finally realized that the needle and seat assembly that normally has a tolerance of .078 was reduced to less than .060 causing the engine to run out of fuel at WOT. This was caused by the alcohol in our Canadian fuel causing the neoprene in the seats to swell up.

The carbs that are on my boat have the press-in needle and seat assembly. This assembly is very difficult to acquire and apparently difficult to replace according to my tech.

So now I'm looking for 3 carbs to fit this motor (that have the screw-in style needle and seat assembly) or any suggestions from you guys that I can pass on to my tech as to how to resolve this problem.

Please help. The summer is getting away from me and I can't enjoy my boat.

What's the model number of your engine.

I'm seeing (on the parts list) that the fuel bowls are still available for the Walbro carbs used in 1984 for about 15 bucks a piece (which would have the seat installed).

You would have to recycle the rest of the guts (float, needle valve etc from your existing carbs - or replace them - all parts are still available)

The diagram for the carb and my mechanic both indicate the the seats are installed on the carb body not the fuel bowl. I'm looking at part #F10333. Is that what you are referring to?

Back