Logo

1999 yamaha 60 hp 2 stroke,starting problems

catfishsnook

I have a 1999 60 hp 2 stroke which has been running fine for the past few months went to start it the other day and i turn the key and nothing happens so i turn the key multiple times and it starts right up .went to flush the engine after a night of fishing same thing sometimes it starts sometimes it doesnt .when u push the key in it makes a click sound is something going or is it just bad connections.anyone know what this could be thanks so much.

Either you have a loose/corroded battery connection (so check both battery and solenoid end of things) or the solenoid is starting to go on you.

But I would put my dollar bet on the cables...

i just went through and cleaned and changed all electrical terminals .havent had a chance to fire it up yet .although i did find lots of corosion ,its all clean know .will keep you guys posted as to the outcome ....thanks for all the help .hope to go fishing tommorow am:D

If you still have problems, check the wiring harness where it meets the motor cowling. Wiggle the harness and see if the motor fires off. You could have a kinked wire in the harness.

well all cleaned ........when i turn the key it wont fire ,,,when i push the key in and twist it it fires right up seems by wiggling the key in the ignition makes it fire up any sugestions thanks so much

Yes, sounds like the switch is jiggered.

I don't know what Yami would want for an OEM switch, but aftermarket ones go for about 20 bucks...

Back