Logo

125 HP '1987 Force dropping in and out of gear

djrmfg

First time out in 8 months the unit drops out of gear for a brief second then clunks in for 2-8 seconds, then drops out, then engages, etc. I tried revving it up from 700 to say 1200 RPM and no change. For a minute I thought it was just missing badly, but the engine runs smooth.

Re: 125 HP '87 Force dropping in and out of gear

Take the hood off and get a helper to shift from neutral to forward (with the motor off) so you can see how the cable is operating.

If it looks "ok" you can try a running test (in the water, no good on a hose) - leave the cover off and cable disconnected.

Start the motor up and being careful (moving parts) put it in forward manually (use your hand to shift the mechanism that the cable moved and give it a run.

If it continues to "slip" your clutch is probably toast which would mean "time to tear down the lower unit"...

We pulled the cover at the dock and the cables are properly setup, and operating properly. I will look into the clutch. Thanks.

Un hook the cables and then try shifting,Then go for the clutch dog.J

thats your clutch dogggg. if you are mechanically inclined and have the manual it is pretty straight forward. do not do it if you dont have a manual!

Back