Logo

Evinrude 4hp what year + cooling?

meverett

Hello to all,
I have just got an Evinrude 4.0hp for an auxillary.
The model number is E4BRCTA serial number is B013480 and idea what the year is?
Also i'm not sure if it is cooling as I have checked the impellar and all ok, I have run it in a bucket of water but there is not the usual jet of water coming out, in fact I can't see where it could come out, does it run back down inside the exhaust?
Many thanks to all.

your engine is a 1983 and if there is no hose comeing from the engine up to i am pretty sure on this engine it comes out of the back of the propeller. when you have it running are you able to touch the head for around 3 seconds without it hurting?

Thanks for that. I removed the gearbox to check the impellar and there is a pipe going up to the engine but no pipe coming out of the engine. I have touched the engine for approx 3 seconds after it was running for about 5 minutes and didn't burn myself. As it was running in a bucket of water and the water was covering the cavitation plate I could see spits of water coming from holes in the front of the leg.
Many thanks,

no problem if it was running for 5 minutes and you can hold ur hand on there then your engine is cooling good! just keep an eye on it if your out on the lake after running it wot for a bit the just check the temperature again always better to be safe then sorrry!

I believe there are a couple little holes on the back of the leg (about half way down) - exhaust relief holes.

If your waterpump is working fine you will notice that those weep or drizzle out a bit of water - not something you can see while underway, but a periodic check will assure you that the waterpump is fine...

Thanks omc_10 and galamb,
I see spits of water from these exhaust relief holes at the front of the leg so can assume that the water pump is ok.
Thanks again

Back