Logo

off topic: metals ss x alum

slauder

Regular Contributor
I have ss screws broken off on my aluminum windshield. They hold my radar arch that I have finally finished. I think some reason they broke was pressure on screw and part was some corrosion. I will use lanacot solution when I put new ones in. Two questions:

1. How do I get the broken screws out? The ss is hard!

2. If I dare to remove the 50 plus on the aluminum outer windshield strips, what tips can be given to remove with less snap offs. Thinking heat? Ratio for arch was 3 for 9. Too bad its not my batting avg.

Grind the screws flush and leave them! Drill new holes for the new screws.

On the rest? Forget about trying to get them out. You'll break or strip the heads on virtually everyone of them.

Jeff (aluminum cruiser owner)

I see. The tiara window frame has recesses for having tapered flat head screws. Do I fill with epoxy or bring to aluminum worker? Let me try one or two...

Ps the frame is not just a bunch of flats, they are seamless triangles and rectangles with a few custom bends so replacement is not an option I want.

Don't bame you--it would be very pricey. Flat head SS screws sitting in aluminum for years are virtually unremovalble, and near impossible to drill out--the drill will wander from the hard SS screw to the soft aluminum.

If it were mine, I'd center punch and drill the heads off (where needed), then grind them smooth and go with new holes.

Jeff

Guys I have the perfect contrast of doing right and doing .5ass.

I just sent this kudos to tiara...

I have to thanks all at tiara Michigan for handling the aluminum and ss screw bonding issues correctly. After 20 years I was able to remove the window frame with only a driver and hammer! The arch done by sub contact at delivery location was a bitch... Too bad that same level of workman ship couldn't make it to them.

Last edited:
I see the ss screws came out nicely when they had isolates and lanocot grease. Thankfully that was all the window frame screws.

The same part has a broken ss screw from the arch and the on site installer must have skipped the grease. Even after grinding from both sides the two appear to be one.

The grease really works!

Why don't we use aluminum screws?

that's a question for the Tiara Design Department. Could be due to lots of reasons and I think you are better off getting the answer straight from the source.

You just grind the screws and hammer them from the side. If this not work then heat the metal and then hammer it. I hope this will work for you.

Back