Logo

1990 3hp Malta doesn't get up to speed

Miguel187

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with my 1990 short tale, 3hp, 2-stroke Malta. After about a 10 year standstill i've started using it again about 3 years ago but it's not running the way it used to. (big surprise?) It still starts after just a couple of pulls (just one pull if its warm) but it doesnt get up to the max speed it used to. It runs fine from low to medium revs but turning the accelerator from halfway to it's max doesn't make a big difference in power output. It sounds and feels like it's trying to get to it's max but it seems as if it's being held back by something. I'm quite sure it's getting enough fuel.

-First thing I did was replace the spark plug. This didnt improve anything though.

-Then I thought it might be a cooling problem, so I checked the water circuit (which wasn't clogged up or anything) and replaced the impeller. The old one was still fine though so that didn't fix the problem either.

-I replaced the gear oil in the lower unit

-Then I took apart and cleaned the carburetor and fuel system. This also didn't improve anything.

I'm using brand new fuel with the appropriate mixture of 1:100 Yamaha 2-stroke oil

What could be the problem here? I'm thinking either the electrical system, the prop or the piston (rings)?

Hope to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!
regards Miguel

Re: 1990 Malta doesn't get up to speed

I agree, it sounds like a fuel problem. Did you set the float height in the carb at the proper setting?

Re: 1990 Malta doesn't get up to speed

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't change any settings, I put it back together the way I took it apart. But i'll open it up again and see if I can set it right.

Back