Logo

1983; 85hp Force, loss of power

djrev82

I recently purchased an '83 Bayliner w/a 85hp Force motor. It ran great for the first few days. As I was cruisin' down the lake at about 40mph, it just lost power. After that, I couldnt get it over about 7mph. It still sounded great, no spittin' and sputterin', just didn't want to go. No starting problems, no idle problems, just no power. it moves in reverse just fine. Also when I push forward on the throttle arm it doesn't pick up at all until the arm is about about all the way down. Then it barely has anything.

This is my first boat so I have no experience with marine motors of any kind. I did check the fuel lines (to include the prime bulb, fuel filter, and all connections) to make sure it wasn't sucking air. Also checked the air hose coming into the built-in fuel tank to make sure it wasn't kinked or clogged. But I am far from a mechanic. I have enough knowledge to fix about anything, however trouble-shooting is another story. Could it be an issue with the throttle assembly somewhere? :confused:

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. THX

It could be any number of things.

Was the motor sitting for any length of time before you acquired the rig?

If so you could have -

clogged carbs
a toasted fuel pump diaphram
stuck/broken reed valves

it would idle fine with any of those conditions

you have to assume that the motor was not maintained unless the previous owner provided you with receipts from service

people don't sell anything that's "perfect" and outboards in particular are often held onto for many years un-used until they have no other choice but get rid of them (yes dear) :)

So assume that it needs everything in terms of maintenance.

Start by getting a workshop manual and then do a compression check and confirm spark at all cylinders (so a gauge and a timing light) - no sense chasing a (maybe) fuel issue if she ate a piston.

If both of those are ok then pull the carbs and clean/rebuild them. Inspect the reeds while you have the carbs off.

Replace the sparkplugs, water pump impeller and lower gear oil. Check/replace the thermostat.

Check every wire connection for crud - clean up the ends and retighten everything.

Inspect any rubber hoses for cracking or rotting - replace where necessary.

When you buy a used outboard, especially if it may have been sitting you have to assume that it will have a ratsnest of problems which must be corrected before it ever hits the water.

If it was as "perfect" as the owner claimed, it would have been out on the water and "not for sale"...

Assume the worst and you will not be disappointed...

Thank you for your help.:cool:

No, it hadn't been sitting long at all. He had been running it all summer up to the weekend I bought it. He just finally talked the ol' lady into a new boat. :rolleyes: Had the engine overhauled end of the season last year as well.

compression check is good, all new fuel lines and filter. Took apart, cleaned and rebuild the carbs.

When I took the fuel pump off and inspected the diaphram it looked good. But should it be flat? Both sides are kinda dome shaped like a speaker. I don't know a whole lot about them.

A mechanic friend suggested maybe I bypass the built in fuel pump (to avoid future issues) and put an in-line electrical fuel pump on. Could this work efficently?

An electric fuel pump on an outboard is NEVER a good idea.They supply too much pressure and then there is the Coast Guard.They won't like it and then,make sure you tell your friends that the boat your giving them a ride in is now a floating BOMB!!!J

Back