Logo

Gamefisher 7.5 screwy dying problem

MahtyMaht

I got this motor 3 years ago on ebay out of Alabama. Model # 217-588751, serial # 48 006884. I've had a lot of fun with this stupid thing, but it hates going from fast to slow. It just dies, then it's hard to start. I recently put a red Atom Computer Ignition module on it. Ran great in the can, took me a mile up the river and cratered. Turned out to be the flapper gasket, which I keep in stock at the house. Replaced the flapper and the thicker black gasket that goes under it, fuel pump element looks good under the magnifying glass. ran great in the can, took it to the drink. Got into some weeds, loaded the motor, which died, then absolutely would not restart. This the same problem it's always had, just worse now with new gaskets. When it dies, it has to sit for 40 minutes before it'll light off and run again. What am I missing here, people?

Sticky carb float.

Not a problem when you are heavy on the throttle but when you back off it's not closing properly (or the needle isn't seating properly) and it's flooding the cylinder(s).

After sitting, the gas evaporates enough that she will fire again.

Pull the carb, check the float - particularly the needle/seat and the float height.

Sorry, don't have the float measurements for this model...

It's 11/64 ths from the carb casting. I used a drill to set it. This carb uses the replaceable Viton rubber seat, and an all aluminum needle. I put a new seat in it last year, just to see, made no difference. When I replaced them, I held the carb upside down, covered the fuel pump element hole, and blew into the fuel line. I could feel it break loose when I lifted the float, shut down when I dropped the float. I have a new seat and needle, I just don't want to burn'em if they aren't the problem. I've never had the welch plugs out of the thing, though. I'm thinkin' if I can't crack this thing, I'll take that sucker all the way down, and replace everything I can. I think you're onto something with this flooding idea, though. Sure feels like that to me. I see fuel/air mix in the throat of it, and it won't start. I shot fuel down it's throat, too, no start.

It could possibly be a crankcase air leak. The lower crankshaft seal is what I'd check. On my Gamefisher 7.5, it would start, then die...then I would have incredible difficulty restarting it. I knew I had fuel and spark so it had to be something else. Turned out to be the lower crankshaft seal. At the very least, it might be worth pulling the powerhead and doing the WD40 test on the lower seal.....if any bubbles are visible, it's time to change the seal. In another post on this site, a few weeks back, I described how it's done.

Anybody have a manual for this particular model? Also for this problem I would assume that the problem stems in the carburetor.... it seems that you are having great burns for the higher speeds but the lower speeds you might have a problem with some of the seals.... it might be time for a carb rebuild

Back