Logo

06 F150 Squeaking noise - No not Driveshaft

jchale

Motor has approx 50 hours of use on it and has been maintained to the max. The motor started making a squeaking noise at idle recently so I did a little research. I guess there are two possible problems that reoccur with the F90 up to F225's. First being the rubber flange/bushing at the top of the drive shaft. From my understanding the rubber dries out and the shaft rubbing on either the rubber flange at the power head or the bushing that is to tight of a tolerance starts to squeal a bit. The fix drop leg and grease the top of the driveshaft or remove the plastic cover and spray the upper drive shaft bushing with some silicon grease. I did the latter with no positive result. I started the motor up and sprayed the top of the shaft. The squeak did not stop. The second possible problem that I found is the engine balancer. Apparently the nylon gears can strip out and cause some real big problems on serial specific motors. I will have to confirm serial number. I just want to fix the problem before it causes severe damage. The noise I hear is coming from the front of the power head. Not the pistons/valves or cam but from the front of the actual motor or the crank. It is hard to pin-point. I put a piece of a wood broom handle to it and my ear. It is either coming from the crank or possibly where the driveshaft meets the crank. It is coming from the front crank end of the motor but echo's from top to bottom when my ear is to it. If I take the RPMs off of idle the noise goes away. This leads me to believe it is not a crank bearing but something rubbing. I need some direction on how and what to eliminate. I was thinking on the weekend to remove the leg and grease the driveshaft properly other than spraying the bushing from below. Are there any recalls on an upper driveshaft bushing on this motor? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

hiya

I know this is an old post but this problem describes the trouble I am having with
my Mercury Veradito 115hp 2006.

I know for sure it is not the driveshaft bushes causing the noises I am getting
as the Veradito was designed without any bushes in the driveshaft line

The chirping, whiring or grinding noise is coming from the crank end of the
engine and only happens when the engine is warmed up above Idle speed,
At Idle the noise goes away as if what ever was causing it has cooled enough

I feel it is the oil pump but the UK importers say there has never been an oil pump issue
on these engines , added to this they want nearly £600 for a pump or $900 !!!!!!
thats without fitting. .!!

I'm calling the engine a Veradito as it is the Verado block but normally asperated

Rich

Hi francisleo4

thanks for the information, no I haven't checked the timing belt

I must admit I haven't looked any further than the lower end as that seems to
be where the noise is coming from.
Don't the veraditos have a timing chain ? I don't know for sure until i visit the boat again
and I can't seem to find a repair manual for this model.

Thanks again
i'll post the results

Richard

Back