Logo

Cannot get my 18hp to give power

kildarebrian

Hello All,

I am new to boating and have run into a little issue I hope you could help me with.

I purchased a Tohatsu 18HP Model 18 E2 from a chap who had used it for one season in the sea.

I had it fitted to a boat I use for river fishing and crusing with the kids. I used it 3 times only last summer (2009) and it ran like a dream, lovely engine.

I dusted the boat down and got it ready for a spin this last weekend.

I put it into a large wheelie bin full of water, to test it before headed off to the river, and it started first time. Only running at idle of course. On reflection when i lifted the idle speed adjustment lever the engine revs didnt rise much.

But on the river the engine would not give me any power at all. just enough propulsion to do a circle at the dock. I tried going through the range of movement of the throttle arm but no joy.

I took out the fuel filter and cleaned it.

Took out the plugs, a little sooty and with sme oil traces, but thats normal (i think).

From reading through the many threds here I suspect I am the biggest part of my problem, as I did'nt "overwinter" my engine other than protecting it with a tarpaulin and insulation blanket.

Can any of you suggest a next course of action, that doesent involve hitting myself with a big stick !

I was half wondering if I took it to a local motorbike repair expert, i could have a gumed up carb or something equally fixable.

I was also wondering if the throttle cable was giving me some resistance could it be clogged of siezing up some how.

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks.

Brian.

I take it this motor has remote control? Sounds as though your throttle cable may be disconnected.

Thats right paul, but the cable is not disconnected, when I move the throttle lever I see the arm in the engine moving, both forward and reverse, but i dont know what range of movement i should expect to see. Any idea how far I should see it move ?
Thanks Paul.
Brian.

As I recall, that model has an external shift cable that connects to the "manual" shift lever, but the throttle cable attaches where the tiller handle gearing would normally mount, right?

If so, take off the cowling so you can watch the linkages operate. The throttle plate/arm on the carb should travel almost a full 90 degrees from idle to WOT. That's maybe 2 inches of travel of the cable. If the cable is not moving all the way, the problem is external to the motor. If it is in fact traveling all the way, the problem is inside the cowl. Possibly the link for the ignition advance cam has become disengaged, for example.

Hi Paul, Genius advice !

I took off the cowel and looked at the linkage range of movement, its certainly not giving me a full 2 inches. So I am now relieved that the problem seems to be external.

I did notice the cable was not properly seated ie the brass end attachment has a little knotch around its circumference of about 2mm, this looks as though it should be seated in a little steel gate device which restrains the cable sleeve. So i refitted it that way and seemed to get more revs up when i ran the engine this evening in a drum of water.

Should i disconnect the outer cover of the control box and try lubricate the cable like i used to do with bike brakelines when i was a kid ?

Many thanks for your advice - i hope i'm getting in on the cause now !

Brian.
Gob****e (uncertified).
Kildare Ireland.

Brian,

Those cables are typically not designed to be re-lubricated. They're relatively cheap anyway. If it is too stiff to operate well, it should be replaced. Generally do both cables in a pair.

They do need to be latched into the gates to get full range of operation. I think you found the malfunction.

Thanks Paul, I hope you're on the button. I 'll take her out this weekend to try again. Many thanks for your input, I will post after the weekend to let you know.

Sincere Thanks for your prompt reply.

Brian.

Back